Author Topic: Transmission Case Markings  (Read 831 times)

Offline Building 3

Transmission Case Markings
« on: April 29, 2016, 06:28:59 PM »
I cleaned my automatic transmission case. I did not have any markings of letters or numbers but I did have a splotch of blue paint on the transmission tail piece. Actually two of them. One on each side of the case. Do you think this is an identifying mark from the transmission plant or assembly plant? Metuchen October 1965 C code. Thank you.
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Transmission Case Markings
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 11:13:59 PM »
Automatic markings are tough since such a high percentage of them were rebuilt at some point in their service life and many were rattle canned silver as part of the process.

Looking at the pictures I do have of 65-66 C4's I didn't find any Ford blue spray marks int he locations you show in your picture

As a general observation it appears that the spray marks were often applied when they were individual pieces rather than during the assembly or inspection process. Because of this they may have been used to identify a specific piece from another similar piece for the worker building the trans
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Building 3

Re: Transmission Case Markings
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 01:37:46 PM »
Thank you. Based on your comments I will leave the blue paint as is. I am sure that I took off some paint during the cleaning process, but I will not try to "restore" it since there is no verification that it was part of any original Ford process. 
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.