Author Topic: 67 Console AC vs Non AC  (Read 4382 times)

Offline 1965GTFB

67 Console AC vs Non AC
« on: December 16, 2014, 07:50:59 PM »
Is there a difference between the console on a factory AC car vs a Non AC car?  The attached pics shows the 2 consoles I have.  Top one(longer) came out of the car being restored, originally a non AC car.  Bottom one(shorter) is out of factory AC car.  The shorter on looks like it was cut so I wasn't sure if that was by a PO or the factory to clear the under dash AC parts.

Reason for asking is, now with the factory AC in the originally non AC car the console that was original to the car does not seem to fit.  The extended panel on the PS does not clear the AC.

Offline ruppstang

Re: 67 Console AC vs Non AC
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 08:31:37 PM »
Yes there are ones that are cut for the evaporator box. Unfortunately your short one is just broken off. You can cut the longer one.
I'll attach the pattern that I use. The 2 inch measurement is the vertical side.
Good Luck
Marty

Offline 1965GTFB

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 01:53:51 PM »
Thanks for the template.  Is that the way they were cut from the factory for AC cars or were cut differently to allow the heat to come out of the bottom of the system?

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 02:29:50 PM »
Yes there are ones that are cut for the evaporator box. Unfortunately your short one is just broken off. You can cut the longer one.
I'll attach the pattern that I use. The 2 inch measurement is the vertical side.
Good Luck
Marty

Maybe I am not seeing things correctly,so help me to see what is "broken off" of the console closer to the camera because the shorter one seems to look just like my original AC car console (except mine is not black) and I know mine hasn't been broken off. There is on My AC car, a plennum for the floor heat that fills any gap ahead of the console (attaches just behind the center mounted blower unit I believe). Maybe there are different ones for Dealer AC? I'm just asking, not trying to disrupt anything here. Mine is apart right now, but I can take pictures of my console easily enough.

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 1965GTFB

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 05:44:15 PM »
Maybe I am not seeing things correctly,so help me to see what is "broken off" of the console closer to the camera because the shorter one seems to look just like my original AC car console (except mine is not black) and I know mine hasn't been broken off. There is on My AC car, a plennum for the floor heat that fills any gap ahead of the console (attaches just behind the center mounted blower unit I believe). Maybe there are different ones for Dealer AC? I'm just asking, not trying to disrupt anything here. Mine is apart right now, but I can take pictures of my console easily enough.

Richard

Richard pics would be great, especially how far the side pieces go past the rear wall of the compartment(a measurement of that distance would be great.  The shorter one I have is out of an AC car.  It doesn't have the cleanest of cuts and has some JB Weld on it to hold the sides to the rear wall of the compartment, so that's why I'm not sure if it may have also been cut more by a PO then just what the factory did.
I'd hate to cut the long one if the short one is already cut in the correct location.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 06:17:17 PM »
I just enlarged your picture in my viewer and I can see the JB weld better now. Am I seeing it corrctly on the passengers side it looks kind of curvey, it looks like it is the the wiring making that curved looking distortion in the picture and the console essentially looks cut it the same spots as mine is. I've repaired the front panel on mine as it had come loose (like the one in your picture did).  The cuts n mine are essentially straight edge straight vertical cuts, like an 1/8 inch to perhaps 3/16 inch ahead of the compartment front panel,straight downwards parallel to the front of the compartment, yet cut enough forwards (1/8-3/16")  that the top edge of the front panel, where it sticks through the sides, has a small amount of "meat" holding it in (on a non JB weld situation) I used a product called PLASTEX  http://www.plastex.net/  to repair my front panel to stay in. I positioned the console so that gravity fed the PLASTEX powder in a neat, even bead along the front bottom and sides. I poured an even bead of the plastex powder in the corners, dribbled the clear solution over the powder and let it dry. It came out rock-solid. I also found a nice black flocking to recoat the inside with. Looks like new to me and the flocking is velvety soft too  ;) http://www.flockit.com/index.php/products/suede-tex/mini-flocker-kits.html

Hope this helps, but I still have to wonder if Marty sees something I am missing.

I see some of the holes to hold it to the floor are cracked off. I used that Plastex kit there too, mine had a couple that were also like the one broken hole I see in the AC console. The "Molding Bar" that comes with the Plastex kit can form a new mold of one of the other "good holes" in your console and you can rebuild the missing plastic. GET THE PLASTEX KIT. You will really like it  ;)

It all came out very nice
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline mustang390

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 12:01:06 AM »
I put a link up on vintage mustang site to a picture of my console.  Here are a couple of other pics.  I'll see if I have any of the diffuser that goes with it.

Offline mustang390

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 12:06:05 AM »
Here a pictures of what I believe is the correct heat diffuser.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 07:04:54 AM »
OK, seeing other pictures with a similar cut at Marty described, I think I know now why he felt your 2nd console is broken off at the front.

I deffer to Marty's judging authority on this situation. It is very likely, that is just in my opinion, that the consoles could have been prepaired (cut as needed) in different manners.

I have bought and sold, installed or swapped several consoles over the years and have had more than just one example of the SHORTER version, exactly as pictured in the original post. I have referred to them as the A/C cut, never once believed them to be "broken". Mine is also exactly like that picture and when it was installed, I noticed nothing odd about fitment.

Again, I wish not to lead anyone down the wrong road. If the Judges believe the consoles must look as Marty indicated and that is the accepted version for Concours Judging, I will not defend my interpretation any longer.

If more unrestored examples can demonstrate that the shorter cut is acceptable, then so be it. Otherwise, I can only account for my own experience working on these since the mid-70's. I can attest that my example came to my ownership in the shorter, or "broken" version in 1978. If it defined as "broken", it was done before my taking ownership and it looks like a few others were all "broken" the exact same way. As for now, I intend on using the console I have, even if it is determined that it has been "broken". For now, in my opinion, I feel it is as it came fron San Jose only because it is as I recieved it as well as because I have seen enough other examples the exact same way, but mostly because I have never noticed anything odd in fitment in my car for all these years.

I hope that helps but truthfully, we need a Concours Judge to set the bar on this one I believe. Marty is a Gold Card judge and I am not.

Richard
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 07:15:25 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 09:20:49 AM »
It is possible that the AC cuts were made differently. I assumed the short one pictured was broken because both sides were missing and the JB weld repairs. Where the divider attaches is a weak spot and they are prone to break there. There is no reason for the drivers side to be cut because there is no interference with the AC plenum there. Richard are both sides of yours cut? I would  like to see several unrestored AC cars from different plants be for I would say this is the only way it was. I would not blame you for using the short one till more evidence is in.

As far as the AC duct is concerned there two different ones, a short one for non console cars and a long one that nearly reached the floor that directed the air out of the gap between the console and the floor.

I will also add that convertible consoles also were cut at the bottom to make clearance for the floor reinforcement structure.
Marty
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 09:23:36 AM by ruppstang »

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 12:00:19 PM »
It is possible that the AC cuts were made differently. I assumed the short one pictured was broken because both sides were missing and the JB weld repairs. Where the divider attaches is a weak spot and they are prone to break there. There is no reason for the drivers side to be cut because there is no interference with the AC plenum there. Richard are both sides of yours cut? I would  like to see several unrestored AC cars from different plants be for I would say this is the only way it was. I would not blame you for using the short one till more evidence is in.

Yes, both sides cut or "broken" off almost even to the front of the compartment. It is not a razor sharp edge, but it is broken off so straight vertically that it looks more intentional, as apposed to a random break. I could say it it probably was scribed with a razor and then snapped off.
The interesting thing that could tend to support the notion of it being intentional is that the way the console "Y"'s off near the floor, it would be difficult (so it would seem) to snap both the layers as even as I see on my console and how it looks exactly the same in the image the O.P. has in the opening thread post. VERY exact in the way they are "broken"

You know, I am getting really tired of finding things out about my car that doesn't seem to follow the trends of other examples  ??? >:(  :-\
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 12:26:12 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 02:28:08 PM »
Having seen so very many of the shortened versions of the console on the AC equipped Mustangs, here is a link to more photos of a 67 COUGAR with the shortened version.
Since Cougars were built alongside the Mustangs, I feel it is relevant to being originally "short".

Richard
*on edit:

(Missing link)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 06:17:17 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 06:13:42 PM »
Yes, both sides cut or "broken" off almost even to the front of the compartment. It is not a razor sharp edge, but it is broken off so straight vertically that it looks more intentional, as apposed to a random break. I could say it it probably was scribed with a razor and then snapped off.
The interesting thing that could tend to support the notion of it being intentional is that the way the console "Y"'s off near the floor, it would be difficult (so it would seem) to snap both the layers as even as I see on my console and how it looks exactly the same in the image the O.P. has in the opening thread post. VERY exact in the way they are "broken"

You know, I am getting really tired of finding things out about my car that doesn't seem to follow the trends of other examples  ??? >:(  :-\

Richard, I looked through my pictures, and found one original Dearborn car that has both sides trimmed like yours.  Picture attached. When I get a chance I'll look through more.  Also I picked up an original one this summer (for $40, could not pass it up) that was stored in an attic for over 25 years and it is the same thing - but that one I don't know the history of.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 09:08:21 PM »
Richard, I looked through my pictures, and found one original Dearborn car that has both sides trimmed like yours.  Picture attached. When I get a chance I'll look through more.  Also I picked up an original one this summer (for $40, could not pass it up) that was stored in an attic for over 25 years and it is the same thing - but that one I don't know the history of.

Not to hijack the thread, but on the console you pictured, is it supposed to have two holes where the console bolts up to the L-shaped brackets on the dash (the holes behind the sliding compartment door)?  My '67 has the original console, and has those two screw holes.  I always assumed a previous owner couldn't get it to fit correctly and drilled two new holes.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 10:06:18 PM »
Sorry, can't help you with that one.  The console and tilt column were out of the car by the time I got to it.  I've got two other consoles though that don't have the extra holes, one non AC and the other AC
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660