Author Topic: 2005-2009 Blend Door Actuator "Clicking Noise" A/C Heater Problem.  (Read 59612 times)

Offline steven566

Re: 2005-2009 Blend Door Actuator "Clicking Noise" A/C Heater Problem.
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2016, 12:49:47 PM »
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I appreciate all of the great info here! 

I have a 2009 GT Convertible that has some sort of actuator door problem as described by the others above.  My issue is that it doesn't click anymore, and I didn't identify which actuator was the issue in time.

These are the symptoms:

1) The a/c system is working, but cold air is not making it out of the vents.  This is the main problem.
2) I can adjust the temperature from hot to cold, though cold isn't cold.  It seems as cold as the temperature would get without a/c to cool it down. I'm in Arizona, so even during the winter, the car gets pretty warm while sitting outside at work.
3) I can switch between the various positions with no issues (floor, vent, combined, etc.  I rarely use defrost, but I believe that is working, as well.)

Is this enough info for someone to identify which actuator is broken and what part number I should get?

Thanks for the help!

BTW, this is the only issue that I've had with my mustang besides the door panel covering issue and for some reason I keep losing tread on the back tires  ;D

Steve

Offline steven566

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2016, 03:03:14 PM »
Another thing that may help is:

What used to happen is that the a/c would run (compressor on, lines cooling, etc.) but the air coming out of the vent was warm. Then, when I shut the car off and began to investigate the engine, and then turned the car back on, the a/c would then be blowing cold.

I'm thinking this must be due to the homing routine that the vent doors go through when the car is started. This procedure doesn't work anymore, which is probably why I don't hear the clicking noise anymore.

I'm still don't know which actuator controls the door to the a/c evaporator. Is it that the hot cold blend door is not making its full travel and staying biased toward the warm side, or is there a door just for the path that blows air part the evaporator. Or something else?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

2009 Mustang GT Premium Convertible (all stock)

Offline Wide13

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2016, 01:16:15 PM »
It sounds like yours is the blend door which I believe is behind the passenger side kick panel.  You want the AC Heater Blend Door Actuator.  I think it is also much easier to get to than the Air Door Actuator that is behind the instrument panel.  Sounds like it has completely failed in the hot position.  You can get the part from LMR.com for about $30 or pay a little more at the dealer.

Offline steven566

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2016, 10:52:28 AM »
Thanks!  I haven't gotten to this yet.  I'm hoping to work on it this week.  Plus now another actuator has started to fail.  The clicking on this one sounds like its coming from right under the middle of the dash.  Hopefully I can identify these when I get inside the glove box.

Are the three actuators that are accessible through the glove box all the same part number?

Thanks,

Steve

Offline steven566

« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2016, 12:28:01 AM »
I took the glove box out and checked out the three actuators that I could get at.  They all are working, but the one that switches between defrost/floor/vent/ac was the one clicking.  I replaced it with a new actuator and no more clicking. 

When I too the actuator apart, I didn't see any broken teeth.  Also, I wasn't having an issue with switching to these various positions.

I took the car out for a drive and I still don't think the A/C is coming into the car.  The clutch works, and the A/C compressor is working.  The low pressure side is cold.  It seems like air is not being blown over the evaporator. 

Is there a door to the evaporator?  When I turn the thermostat knob hot and cold I can feel there air get hot and cold, it just never gets colder than the ambient temperature.  And if the car has been sitting outside all day, it never gets cold at all, just warm and hot.

What does the actuator on the driver's side do?  Could this have something to do with the A/C setting not working?

Offline rgiles2

« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2016, 04:19:04 PM »
Got the bad actuator replaced. However...the little red locking clip on the wire plug took off into the dash. Can't seems to shake it or blow it loose. N/A from Ford. Anyone have any idea as to where I might find one?? (other than in MY dash)

TAI
Bob

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2016, 01:00:53 AM »
I have a few late model harnesses, definitely have one.  But it will be a few weeks before I'm home to look. You might try a salvage yard, but most want to sell complete harnesses.
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 JalapeƱo Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline rgiles2

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2016, 08:33:23 PM »
So...I replaced the bad actuator with an O'Reilly part. Worked for 3 days...same thing. Took it back and got another one. Lasted 10 days....same thing. Clicks  (recycles) for about 4-5 times then stops. Would an OE be any better?  Is there another part/module that regulate them all. Seems to just try to cycle through and reset or something...
What am I missing..??

Offline jjjefferson

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2016, 06:32:36 PM »
Well lets see....the Ford OEM replacement part lasted 13 months....or....3,800 miles.   

Looks like this may become an annual ritual.   >:(

Now just waiting on the 3rd Tecata Airbag for the Passenger side..... on the bright side...the Kenwood Stereo with Navigation that I replace the Shaker500 with is doing just fine.

J

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2016, 06:55:36 PM »
Well lets see....the Ford OEM replacement part lasted 13 months....or....3,800 miles.   

Looks like this may become an annual ritual.   >:(

Now just waiting on the 3rd Tecata Airbag for the Passenger side..... on the bright side...the Kenwood Stereo with Navigation that I replace the Shaker500 with is doing just fine.

J

my '05 still has ALL it's original actuators & airbags. 30K on the odometer while sleeping in a garage most of the time helps, I am sure. I figure once the airbags quit being recalled, I'll get them done too but I'm not a big fan of the butchers over at my local Ford dealership...For a very minor "hummm" vibration at about 1900 RPM's, they ripped off 2 exhaust hangers from off the trans cross member. This happened the last time I took in in back in '08. (what jack-arses, using a pry-bar, they literally tore them off) I imagine I'll brave the dealership again one day.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jacobhanson1010

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2017, 12:36:25 AM »
I found this thread pretty helpful, but I just had to remove this actuator on my 2007 V6. I found that, despite that top screw being EXTREMELY difficult to get to, it's possible without breaking any plastic or cutting anything. You are going to need some interesting combination of tools, and a buddy to help. That is if you're going to do it like me and my dad did.

1. Firstly, I removed the dash trim covering the instrument cluster like stated before in this thread (it just pops out with clips), and unscrewed and removed the instrument cluster (which comes out with 4 screws). From here, you can look inside and see the problem actuator to the right. The top screw, the one that is difficult to remove, is up and behind the large round air duct that connects to the left-most vent.

2. What you're gonna do want to do is, prop up that big air duct. Using rags, shims, or a combination of the two you want to prop it up against the metal frame bar that is right under it. Doing this will let us squeeze a socket onto the head of the top-most screw. If you don't prop up the duct, it will literally be touching against the head of the screw, and you'll never be able to get any tools up there. Trust me. Don't worry about breaking the air duct, we jammed it pretty hard up and didn't break ours. It apparently can take some tough force. So whatever you need to do to make room for tools against the screw head, you're pretty much ok to do.

http://i.imgur.com/mJ60VCt.jpg

3. Go ahead and crawl under the dash, on your back, look up, and using your right-hand and a 5/16ths socket and a ratchet, unscrew that bottom screw of the actuator. This is the easy one. Also, if you haven't already, disconnect that wiring harness from the actuator. To do this, grab the small red clip pull backwards, opposite of the actuator, towards the direction of the wires, and then unplug the connector.

4. For removing this top screw. We used an funny combo of tools. What we did was, attach the 5/16ths socket to a bendy extension, then to a screw driver. Doing this allowed us to connect the socket to the head of the screw, and not have to worry about having room for a regular ratchet up inside the dash.

http://i.imgur.com/j1GJ0n5.jpg

5. Now, for us to get this to work, I laid on my back with my feet hanging out of the car and my dad sat on the drivers seat at the wheel. What I did was, reached up behind the dash to the head of the screw, oriented our tool onto the head, and held it in place and applied downward force to make sure the socket stayed on the head. This was no easy task, and often the socket slipped off the head and we had to start over. As I held the socket in place over the head of the screw, my dad had the screw driver end of our tool sticking out towards the steering wheel, and he loosened the screw out.

http://i.imgur.com/pCgueul.jpg

6. Once we got the screw out, we replaced the actuator and just reversed out process. I screwed the screw back into place by hand enough so it wouldn't fall down onto my face. Then I guided our tool back onto the head and my dad tightened the screw. Make sure the screw is actually going through the actuator into the mounting hole. Because I couldn't see the screw or the hole from where I was on my back, we ended up screwing the screw just into the hole without slotting it through the actuator, so we had to back it out again and put it back in AGAIN.

Your biggest enemy is the air duct. It's in the way of getting any long tools in parallel to it. Propping it up gives us just enough room to get tools onto the head of the screw, but this is only way we got it to work. I was down on my back while my dad unscrewed the screw because I had to actively press the socket tool onto the head of the screw and press up against the duct even more to ensure the socket stayed on the screw. It was pretty exhausting heheh. But holy frijoles it was satisfying once we got it all in the right way.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 09:08:18 PM by jacobhanson1010 »

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2018, 11:04:48 AM »
So I need to replace the one that is easily accessible through the glove box door, the one to the left if you look through the glove box.  My question is, I saw on the American Muscle website to remove two of the fuses.  Is this procedure necessary?  Got mine from Rockauto for under $30 and in two days, OE part.
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline AU SNK

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2018, 02:03:05 PM »
So I need to replace the one that is easily accessible through the glove box door, the one to the left if you look through the glove box.  My question is, I saw on the American Muscle website to remove two of the fuses.  Is this procedure necessary?  Got mine from Rockauto for under $30 and in two days, OE part.

I did not remove any fuses when I did that one last year. Sadly the replacement is already clicking. Guess these things just are not made very well.
Unrestored 66 Metuchen, NJ Fastback 6T09C2435XX
Sauterne Gold Metallic, Lt. Ivy Gold Crinkle Vinyl and White Crinkle Vinyl, Pony Interior