Author Topic: brake and fuel lines  (Read 7862 times)

Offline 67gta289

brake and fuel lines
« on: January 10, 2015, 10:08:43 AM »
For those that go with reproduction brake and/or fuel lines, what are the experiences, good and bad, with various suppliers?  Looking primarily at accuracy of the details compared to original, but of course also concerned about the fit up for obvious safety reasons.  Thanks!
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Re: brake and fuel lines
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 04:51:56 PM »
The only players as far as I know are: Fine Lines and Classic Tubes, and they pretty much overlap each other with the same parts for Mustangs. I have not heard much feed back either way on the parts.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 11:26:14 PM »
The only players as far as I know are: Fine Lines and Classic Tubes, and they pretty much overlap each other with the same parts for Mustangs. I have not heard much feed back either way on the parts.
The Right Stuff is one more good company. They all have the stainless lines. Stainless is over kill first of all because it takes decades for the original type lines to corrode. The stainless looks too shiny . The stainless is very hard and it can be difficult to get the flair to conform and seal in the fitting and keep from leaking. It can take a lot to crank it down.  The problem I see is that Classic tube and Fine lines both have switched to the aluminized tube that looks different then the original tin dipped tern steel brake and fuel  lines . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 08:31:08 AM »
Thanks for the answers.  Before I posted, I searched here and did not find anything on the subject.  I'll probably be going with the original equipment (non stainless steel) variety lines and report back.  The only problems I have found thus far on their web site is:

1. There are two "front to rear" lines for before 2/1/67.  There is not enough information from my perspective to make the right choice between the two, so I'll be calling tech support.
2. I don't see the brake lines for the front of the vehicle.  They probably have it.  Either my eyes are no good or their web site is no good.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 10:43:44 AM »
Thanks for the answers.  Before I posted, I searched here and did not find anything on the subject.  I'll probably be going with the original equipment (non stainless steel) variety lines and report back.  The only problems I have found thus far on their web site is:

1. There are two "front to rear" lines for before 2/1/67.  There is not enough information from my perspective to make the right choice between the two, so I'll be calling tech support.
2. I don't see the brake lines for the front of the vehicle.  They probably have it.  Either my eyes are no good or their web site is no good.

Could one would be for DISC brakes and the other for DRUM? I know that is one variation.

Classic Tube site seems to be rather straight forward, if I remember correctly yours was with Disc Brakes so http://www.classictube.com/shop-online?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=5165&category_id=546 should be the correct selection. I read it as including the right side brake line in the set.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 10:50:37 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 12:35:00 PM »
There are two disc brake setups for 1967, the early has the proportioning valve located at the rear near the flex hose to axle bracket, later versions had the proportioning valve looping around the distribution block/master cylinder to more accurately indicate a loss of pressure (fluid) in the system. Although almost identical to the 68 style, the 67 distribution block/master cylinder is very rare in its mounting arrangement. I think the change-over was made in February, March or April. The latter system was continued into 1970 at least. That's two different lines to the rear for disc alone, maybe a third for drum.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 03:54:34 PM »
There are two disc brake setups for 1967, the early has the proportioning valve located at the rear near the flex hose to axle bracket, later versions had the proportioning valve looping around the distribution block/master cylinder to more accurately indicate a loss of pressure (fluid) in the system. Although almost identical to the 68 style, the 67 distribution block/master cylinder is very rare in its mounting arrangement. I think the change-over was made in February, March or April. The latter system was continued into 1970 at least. That's two different lines to the rear for disc alone, maybe a third for drum.
Jim
I haven't seen that change over for the proportioning valve up to the front on a 67production car before so it must be on very very late 67  production cars (end of  July? )which I don't study much. I have only seen the typical 68 style. I would very much like to see a picture of a late 67 version and it's context for my data base. Maybe Jeff S ? Typically the question about the lines has to do with the fuel line which runs down the tunnel along with the brake lines on a early car and the fuel line out by the rocker and through the torque box on later 67 cars. That would be my first thought.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 03:58:36 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 06:37:40 PM »
There are two disc brake setups for 1967, the early has the proportioning valve located at the rear near the flex hose to axle bracket, later versions had the proportioning valve looping around the distribution block/master cylinder to more accurately indicate a loss of pressure (fluid) in the system. Although almost identical to the 68 style, the 67 distribution block/master cylinder is very rare in its mounting arrangement. I think the change-over was made in February, March or April..................

Will look through what I have pictures of but on a quick scan San Jose was still mounting the proportioning valve at the rear in June production in 67 so this doesn't appear to be a Feb- April change. If it had been it would not be so "rare" since that would mean almost 1/3 to 1/2 of all cars with disc would have had it arranged that way.

Will report back and maybe split the thread since we're heading down a particular year
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 07:10:23 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 08:50:04 PM »
Will look through what I have pictures of but on a quick scan San Jose was still mounting the proportioning valve at the rear in June production in 67 so this doesn't appear to be a Feb- April change. If it had been it would not be so "rare" since that would mean almost 1/3 to 1/2 of all cars with disc would have had it arranged that way.

Will report back and maybe split the thread since we're heading down a particular year
I helped a friend with a May 7, San Jose build, 67 Fastback about 10 years ago replace his disc brake setup (and about everything else). The car sat in a field near Oakland, CA and was "hurting". It took many months to find brake parts only to determine that there was another system. We had to convince each other that his car got the proportioning valve in the front instead of the rear. My change-over date is an estimation.
The main point is that there are two variations for 67. I'll let you figure out the when and where.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline rodster

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 09:41:09 PM »

Can't speak on the accuracy for a 67 Mustang but I am very happy with Inline tube quality and detail.

http://inlinetube.com/Preformed%20Lines/Web%20Line%20Listings/FM-CAT-02.htm
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 09:54:25 PM »
I haven't seen that change over for the proportioning valve up to the front on a 67production car before so it must be on very very late 67  production cars (end of  July? )which I don't study much. I have only seen the typical 68 style. I would very much like to see a picture of a late 67 version and it's context for my data base. Maybe Jeff S ? Typically the question about the lines has to do with the fuel line which runs down the tunnel along with the brake lines on a early car and the fuel line out by the rocker and through the torque box on later 67 cars. That would be my first thought.
]I just remembered a 67 brake line early late thing. The brake line cross's over the top of the steering column for cars built before February and the line going under the column after February.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 11:41:58 AM »
Turns out their web site year-make-model filter was not set up correctly.  Did not list any front brake lines, etc. So I'm all set.

Mine is "early" so brake line over the column, proportioning valve in rear, fuel line along the tunnel, no guarding.

I saved the old ones and will do a comparison when they come in, and update this post.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 01:41:29 PM »
Turns out their web site year-make-model filter was not set up correctly.  Did not list any front brake lines, etc. So I'm all set.

Mine is "early" so brake line over the column, proportioning valve in rear, fuel line along the tunnel, no guarding.

I saved the old ones and will do a comparison when they come in, and update this post.
Also give heads up if aluminized tube (funky milky hazy look) or the original terne steel type tin dipped .

Offline bluemax

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 04:31:45 PM »
I have used both Classic Tube and Inline Tube on my SVO projects over the years.

Went with Inline recently on my rear axle brake lines because Classic Tube was incorrect (wrong tubing size). NPD also uses Classic Tube (at least on the SVO applications).

Inline did not have the individual lines listed, but the Tech was able to get me the correct line. Very satisfied with fit.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 06:24:43 PM »

Update John?

I have all of my original lines, not rusty but not pretty either. Would like to hear how they compared to your Original San Jose car (side by side).
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments