Author Topic: New guy (long)  (Read 3546 times)

Offline djburton

New guy (long)
« on: February 08, 2015, 12:04:51 PM »
Hello,everyone!Been a lurker here since the beginning and a member of 428 CJ.First I want to thank Jeff Speegle for the personal help he gave in doing my 69 Q code and all the other members here that also helped.
  Anyway...I needed a car to do since the CJ was done and wasn't nuts on laying out the huge amounts of green needed for another CJ so I picked up a 93 LX 4 cyl. coupe.It was destined for drag car status and the guy had stripped it to the shell.He fortunatly saved every last piece and disassembled it with care.I picked it up for peanuts when he lost interest.I have to admit,I thought about the heavily modded deal but after looking things over,it was rust free,not all hacked up or modified,interior looked great.The seller swore everything was there.Restoration is my thing anyway so I thought why not?
   The body is now done and painted and reassembly has begun.Let me tell you,there's a lot of parts.I was hoping you guys could help me out from time to time when I can't figure something out.Basket cases can be a problem,especially when there are so many baskets.
   In the mean time,we ran into this 93 SSP car,fresh off Govt auction.It was a Ca. US Postal Service car,doccumented to the max from day one.I can't see anything done to it service wise except the heater core.It's totally complete in excellent condition,no antenna holes.Will be the next car on the list.
   I always liked the Fox as I bought a new 93 Cobra.Never drove it and sold it 8 yrs later with 700 miles.
Thanks!
Doug
P.S.   Mark talked me out of the SVO I really wanted...Too much money...still want one,though.

Offline jwc66k

Re: New guy (long)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 04:57:09 PM »
Doug,
Welcome. Lurking is good, I do it all the time. Those that ask questions are welcome, those that provide answers sometimes take the arrows. Ducking is good too.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 05:01:37 PM »
+1 welcome, Doug.

Jim - sure glad you said ducking was ok, and not "dodging" which would certainly not be appropriate here lol
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 05:29:11 PM »
First off, Welcome Doug. Allthough I haven't seen as many threads on the Fox body's as I have the Classic 64.5 to 73's...There are a lot of Fox owners here so I am sure you'll find much of the help you need.

+1 welcome, Doug.

Jim - sure glad you said ducking was ok, and not "dodging" which would certainly not be appropriate here lol

...and John..HEY I resemble that remark! My old Dodge Plow truck has been rebuilt many times over! I wanted a FORD years ago when I bpought it...what I ended up with was a different kind of F.O.R.D. instead! Fabricated Over Rebuilt Dodge! a.k.a. FrankenDODGE...I believe about 20 trucks are rolled into one by now, it's easier to list what is left of the orginal truck than what has been changed!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 05:33:15 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 10:12:59 AM »
Kudos to you for bringing back a car that lots of other people might have passed on.  I dragged an '87 GT out of a local junkyard, stripped it down inside and out, and restored it.  Sounds like you at least have a nice car to start with.  After a while, I was beginning to wish mine had stayed in the junkyard!   :D
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 06:32:21 PM »

P.S.   Mark talked me out of the SVO I really wanted...Too much money...still want one,though.

Welcome (haha)    I DOUBT I talked you out of an SVO (maybe one of mine) though.  haha  May have been a timing thing as I had two SVO sales last year and one last week.

I think the SSP is a great car and a USPS one is even better as how many SSP collectors have one of those !!

Don't give up on an SVO - you never know you may get to trade for an SSP.    Gary F in Canada that had owned a number of SVO's caught the SSP bug and has had many interesting ones.  (I have always like them too)
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline djburton

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 10:34:05 AM »
Kudos to you for bringing back a car that lots of other people might have passed on.  I dragged an '87 GT out of a local junkyard, stripped it down inside and out, and restored it.  Sounds like you at least have a nice car to start with.  After a while, I was beginning to wish mine had stayed in the junkyard!   :D
Yeah,it probably isn't worth restoring but it will eventually go to a grandkid.I guess it keeps me out of trouble and the price was right(initially).I was just going to get it going but somehow it ended up on the rotisserie.Can't help myself!

Mark...I have a feeling the USPS car will will be fairly valuable when done correctly.I already have quite a few SSP fans drooling over it.The only things I can see that's wrong with it is the coffee,mustard and ketchup stains and a nice cigerette burn in the dr seat.As I understand it,the cloth on the 93 opal gray coupe interior is a 1 yr,1 model deal.The aftermarket stuff doesn't come close to matching.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 10:40:41 AM »
Yeah,it probably isn't worth restoring but it will eventually go to a grandkid.I guess it keeps me out of trouble and the price was right(initially).I was just going to get it going but somehow it ended up on the rotisserie.Can't help myself!

Mark...I have a feeling the USPS car will will be fairly valuable when done correctly.I already have quite a few SSP fans drooling over it.The only things I can see that's wrong with it is the coffee,mustard and ketchup stains and a nice cigerette burn in the dr seat.As I understand it,the cloth on the 93 opal gray coupe interior is a 1 yr,1 model deal.The aftermarket stuff doesn't come close to matching.

If you enjoy it, then it's totally worth restoring.  That's all the validation you need, IMO.  I knew going into that '87 that I could buy a better car all day long, but I just wanted to see if I could bring one back from the brink.  Also, I completely missed that bit about the USPS Mustang in your first post.  I had no idea such a thing ever existed; I guess I thought all SSP Mustangs went to law enforcement.  You learn something new every day!
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 01:34:15 PM »
   In the mean time,we ran into this 93 SSP car,fresh off Govt auction.It was a Ca. US Postal Service car,doccumented to the max from day one.I can't see anything done to it service wise except the heater core.It's totally complete in excellent condition,no antenna holes.Will be the next car on the list.
Was that the 20th century version of the Pony Express...?
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 07:48:37 PM »
Welcome and thanks for the kind comments.

Hope you find the site and the information contained within assists you in your efforts
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline djburton

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 09:52:20 AM »
Was that the 20th century version of the Pony Express...?
They used them in Montana for next day AM deliveries.  ;)Actually, from what I read,the car was driven by postal inspectors.I guess they were federal agents of sorts,carried guns,made arrests.