Author Topic: 69 san jose windsor non-ps steering box finish and paint markings  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Aussiemach

• Silver Level Subscriber
what finish should the small lock nut be on the sector shaft adjusting screw be ?
would it be correct that the rest of the box is all natural ?

Can anyone provide better photo's or information re the yellow and blue paint marks in the last two photo's ?

« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 01:30:11 AM by Aussiemach »
1969 Mach 1 351w FMX Built in San Jose, February 26 1969

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 69 san jose windsor steering box finish and paint markings
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 10:12:53 PM »
what finish should the small lock nut be on the sector shaft adjusting screw be ?

Can anyone provide better photo's or information re the yellow and blue paint marks in the last two photo's ?

Something to consider is that the top of the steering box was supposed to be blacked out with black paint by way of a brush . I had seen this before and sure enough it is in the assembly manuals. However I have seen some that didn't look like they were done.  The oil covered box does not provide a good surface for paint and it easily flacks off. I see a few remnants of black paint on the top plate of your box. With that said if the top was blacked out like it was supposed to be under some circumstances the other marks you are asking about on top wouldn't be seen anyway.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 san jose windsor steering box finish and paint markings
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 10:44:49 PM »
Might be a good idea to include in the first post if it was a PS or non- PS box so that others will not have to look up the codes to see if these apply to their application ;)

Since it's dated Sept 68 I'm guessing you have a fairly early car

Adjustment shaft in #1 would have been IMHO dark heat treated bare steel like the cover bolts. The nut could have always looked to be fresh bare steel -
Vent is bare steel I believe

The cast center in #2 is just that cast iron while the steering shaft would again be dark heat treated. Believe the large ring/nut was just bare steel though I've never had it tested

[/quote]

The case would have been a combination of natural cast and shinny machined surfaces (mounting pads, cover mating surface, area under and around the large ring/nut at the shaft). Then you look at the other pieces such as the cover (bare bar steel) end cap (zinc and so on)

Paint marks appear to match others  of about the same time period. Would have been marked at the supplier not the assembly plant.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 10:57:16 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Aussiemach

• Silver Level Subscriber
Re: 69 san jose windsor non-ps steering box finish and paint markings
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 01:40:46 AM »
Thanks for the advice Bob and Jeff
1969 Mach 1 351w FMX Built in San Jose, February 26 1969