Author Topic: Parts Tumbling  (Read 17664 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Parts Tumbling
« on: April 20, 2015, 01:20:29 AM »
I've decided to offer a parts tumbling service.  I have a 3 cubic foot tumbling machine that is setup with angle cut ceramic for steel parts.  I can do control arms, transmission mounts, brake pedal supports, tie down brackets, strut rods and smaller parts.  I won't do small fasteners, the tank is too large.  Tumbling gives a nice "just made" appearance to parts with a polished (not shiny) surface.  After tumbling, I rinse in a parts washer that has a rust inhibitor in the cleaner.  Parts are simply blown off/dried and packed up, owners can apply whatever more permanent rust inhibitor they like.

Prices:
For parts already blasted and ready to tumble (glass beaded), $5 per piece, $35 minimum
For dirty/rusty parts, $35/hr + $5/per piece
I can smooth pitted areas to improve appearance, but this can be time consuming, also at $35/hr

I prefer to do parts already blasted.  If anything has surface rust when it arrives, then the $35/hr cleaning fee applies.

Owner/Shop pays for shipping both ways.  Mailing a return label with the parts works best.  I will include return shipping in final bill if no return label provided.  Owner can specify what mailing service they prefer.  FedEx Ground is usually good for heavy boxes.  USPS flat rate boxes for smaller parts.

Turnaround time usually less than a week.

Payment by paypal or check.

Send a message to me through this site if interested.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 09:37:40 PM by caspian65 »
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline petersixtfive

Re: Parts Tumbling
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 07:11:57 AM »
Sounds like a great service at more than reasonable rates
Wish I was 16,221 km closer in distance to you
The postal service will still get them there despite the distance
Regards and thanks for your recent suggestions and positive comments

65 SJ GT fastback June 65 Build

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 03:25:43 PM »
I've decided to offer a parts tumbling service. 
I won't do small fasteners, the tank is too large. 
Try a rock tumbler using metal filings from brake drums for small parts, brackets, bolts, nuts, etc. It takes a week but it is a very low labor intensive procedure. After tumbling and sifting the filings, rinse in kerosene to remove any dust and to add a light layer of rust inhibitor. It works, I've use this method for over 20 years (traded a buffer for the tumbler with the Mailman). I've tried other media, glass beads, walnut shells, etc, but they don't work as well as filings.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 07:42:00 PM »
I'll refer all the folks needing fastener tumbling to you Jim  ;D

Offline D0ZZ70MACH

• 1970 Mach 1 Dearborn 11/10/1969
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 09:58:10 PM »
Hello.  Definitely interested and will PM you for more details but I have one question which I thought others may benefit from.

I have some parts which were cleaned and zinc plated however the plating did not turn out as well as I had hoped.  Can the zinc
plated parts be tumbled or must they be stripped of the plating first?  Thank you in advance!!  Aaron

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 10:23:18 PM »
I have some parts which were cleaned and zinc plated however the plating did not turn out as well as I had hoped.  Can the zinc
plated parts be tumbled or must they be stripped of the plating first?  Thank you in advance!!  Aaron

I'd have to see the parts to get an idea of what the plating looks like.  If they are dull, then tumbling will polish them up a bit.  If the plating is spotty, then tumbling may make them look worse.

Thanks!

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 12:26:57 AM »
plated parts be tumbled or must they be stripped of the plating first? 
The simple answer is no and yes. My plater prefers clean metal to plate, I bead blast the items I send him, but he also gives the stuff a dip in a mild hydrochloric acid bath, mostly to remove oil, grease and finger prints from handling. That includes brand new metal (he does plating on electronic chassis to exhaust systems for small motorcycles) as well as electronic items that get refurbished that need to get stripped first. The bottom line is plating over plating is not desired.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 12:32:16 AM »
I'll refer all the folks needing fastener tumbling to you Jim  ;D
Thanks, but I also do my own phosphating and send hardware parts out to my plater. It's small time, some of my customers are on this forum.
Off topic: The guy that did glass work for me retired last month, and the guy that did powder coating sold his business, he's out as of the end of the month. It's getting difficult to find "car friendly" shops locally.
Jim

Offline kcodecoupe

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 08:35:35 AM »
Charles, would a small block aluminum bell housing be too large for your tumbler,  chuck.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 09:27:37 AM »
Charles, would a small block aluminum bell housing be too large for your tumbler,  chuck.
Chuck, if it is outside of Charles' capability send me a PM, I can help you get it done.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 11:49:34 AM »

It would be a bit too big, but I only have media for steel parts presently.

Offline Maksim27

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2023, 01:48:38 AM »
Does anyone here still do tumbling as I have a dozen small suspension parts that need to be tumbled such as perches, Strut rod "stops", Isolator rubber U brackets, rear shock plates, and some other parts.