Author Topic: wheel well black undercoating, Help  (Read 2644 times)

Offline 1969 Cale II

wheel well black undercoating, Help
« on: April 21, 2015, 08:02:49 PM »
I was looking at a thread within the last week that talked about the black stuff you would use to do rear wheel wells and some seams. It was black and thick looking, there where a couple of photos showing the texture of this black stuff but I can't find the thread, any help would be great.
Thanks, Chris

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: wheel well black undercoating, Help
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 08:06:05 PM »
try a search for 'lord fusor'.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 10:34:50 PM »
Search for "sound deadener"  (undercoating is something done at the dealership ;) as well as a visit to the library would likely provide some options

- Sound Deadener and Seam Sealer- Reproducing/Repairing
  is posted in all sub(year) sections

Which ever way you choose plan to by extra (especially the Lord Fuson) and practice before you do the real thing. Have seen some ugly Lord Fuson applications lately. Its about product and technique ;)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:22:46 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 08:08:56 PM »
Jeff, do you like the Spectrum Sludge stuff, did it hold up well? Do you still use it? Would you recommend it?
Thanks Chris

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 08:58:20 PM »
Jeff, do you like the Spectrum Sludge stuff, did it hold up well? Do you still use it? Would you recommend it?

I would still use it today - but would try spraying it also - at least for the final coat. Still like the brush for the texture and build up - provides ALLOT of additional control IMHO.

We've had good reports from other member that were able to shot the stuff and believe in the long run its cheaper in volume that the other products

As always - test and play around a bit before the final attempt on the car. I built corners and panels that matched the same angles - horizontal and vertical to see how it would flow and look before I tackled the car. Didn't have to try/practice more than once as it worked pretty much - exactly like I expected it to

Hope the stuff is around for a while. Always seems that once you find something that works they stop making it for one reason or another

Of course it's best never to remove the original sound deadener in the first place if you can ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 09:28:19 PM »
Thanks , Jeff. Major sheetmetal work means redoing everything. You know the drill. Talked to Eric at Spectrum, Very nice and helpful.
Chris

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 10:29:42 PM »
...Talked to Eric at Spectrum, Very nice and helpful.

Never talked to the makers - was the employee surprised at all with what we were using it for?  It was designed as an acoustical product for the boom boxes on wheels  ::)
Jeff Speegle