Author Topic: Brake bleeders  (Read 2296 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Brake bleeders
« on: April 23, 2015, 01:12:18 AM »
What is everyone using for one-person brake bleeding these days? 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline KevinK

Re: Brake bleeders
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 12:04:06 PM »
I never had and luck using the Mityvac.  In fact I think I misplaced the attachment.  I usually use gravity feed to get started and reluctantly call on my wife to finish.  My wife is blond so sometimes it can be a challenge.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 12:09:29 PM »
I never had and luck using the Mityvac.  In fact I think I misplaced the attachment.  I usually use gravity feed to get started and reluctantly call on my wife to finish.  My wife is blond so sometimes it can be a challenge.

That's kind of where I am now, except my wife no longer will help since we have 2 teenage boys that 'should be helping their father in the garage', lol.  Actually, my oldest did help out on the most recent one.  When his younger brother came out to see what we were doing he wanted to know how come he couldn't sit in the car.  Maybe there is hope for them after all.  ;-)
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 12:31:40 PM »
i use a quart mayonaise jar with about 1" of fresh fluid. sealed top with o-ring to fit a clear rubber hose. submerge hose in jar. open bleeder. give pedal 8-10 strokes. close bleeder. recheck fluid. repeat until no bubbles. been doing it that way forever.
5F09C331248

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 01:17:51 PM »
     I have found it is more effective to just find someone to step on the brake pedal.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 07:24:08 PM »
i use a quart mayonaise jar with about 1" of fresh fluid. sealed top with o-ring to fit a clear rubber hose. submerge hose in jar. open bleeder. give pedal 8-10 strokes. close bleeder. recheck fluid. repeat until no bubbles. been doing it that way forever.

That is my method too, using a plastic water bottle with a piece of safety wire twisted around the neck.  I can tie the bottle to something to hold it up closer to the bleeder, but usually low enough that I can bend down under the car and watch what is going on.  Submerge the bleeder hose in the some fluid in the bottom of the bottle and pump away until now bubbles.  Keep a watch on the M/C fluid level.
Jim
'66 GT FB

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 07:59:00 AM »
What I didn't see a single person mention here, is when bleeding, always start with the wheel furthest away from the master. There is also a 10.00 tool available to those with 1967 on distribution blocks to hold the valve centered while bleeding. It's in the back of the NPD catalog. Part #914-7
https://www.npdlink.com/store/?p=catalog&mode=newsearch&search_str=brake+valve+centering+tool&parent=1&year=0
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 05:01:46 PM by 1967 eight barrel »

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 10:46:04 AM »
     I have found it is more effective to just find someone to step on the brake pedal.  Brian

+1 I've made the same type of setup using a 2 liter soda bottle-carefully drill a hole in the cap to run the line through.....works well, bleed brakes all by myself!