Author Topic: Antenna Rattle  (Read 18920 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Antenna Rattle
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2016, 02:52:28 PM »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2016, 02:59:57 PM »
Yes Daniel sort of took what his dad had been doing for years and they applied it to the 50-60's vehicles. Can't remember if it was the Carpenter's that originally were using all the injection molding to make all the light plastic stuff (glasses, tubs, bedpans ....) you see in a hospital room and took that access and knowledge and started reproducing parts. Was them or another of the early Ford and Model A guys back in the 70's.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2016, 04:09:14 PM »
The link I provided gives some background/history.  Doesn't appear they had anything to do with hospital stuff.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2016, 04:51:17 PM »
The link I provided gives some background/history.  Doesn't appear they had anything to do with hospital stuff.

Just my recall that one of the two early reproducers of parts had that connection from conversations at the time between my father and one of the two families. Could have been the Drake family
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2017, 11:28:07 AM »
So Guys, Does anyone have any new info on the antennas?

Way back in November.December of 2016 Scott at NPD sent me a Scott Drake Antenna to try-it rattled as bad as the one that is on my car, so I sent it back.

Thanks for this Scott Halseth!!

The folks at Dennis Carpenter sent me one of theirs (when it came it was CLEARLY much older than anything that Monroe would have had his hands on to fix/pack with grease) it too rattled and as I recall there was a flaw in the chrome bezel that was quite noticeable, so all things considered I didn't install it and sent it back as well.

I've heard nothing since.......hope I didn't make anyone mad........

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2017, 04:53:05 PM »
I inspected a fresh out of the bag new Scott Drake antenna yesterday that a local shop was installing and noted that the rattle is not as pronounced as others I have seen but still noticeably more then a 50 year old Ford unit. Also I noticed a slight bevel at the end on each mast section compared to the more crisp edge of the genuine. For those familiar with hipo aircleaner  details the profile difference is comparable to the difference between repro hipo aircleaner profile and genuine profile. FYI they still only offer the 65/66 style mast and expect you to also use it on 67/68. It is a small difference (how far the mast will collapse) but one easily detectable from 30 feet away.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2017, 01:31:59 PM »
Yes, I have seen the Scott Drake unit. It looks great to me, rather they make it themselves in the USA as Carpenter states theirs is I don't know......

Carpenter is selling theirs now for $90, and I wouldn't have any problem paying that for a quality, rattle-free antenna since the NOS units are either gone or through the roof in pricing......

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2017, 02:21:06 PM »
Yes, I have seen the Scott Drake unit. It looks great to me, rather they make it themselves in the USA as Carpenter states theirs is I don't know......

Carpenter is selling theirs now for $90, and I wouldn't have any problem paying that for a quality, rattle-free antenna since the NOS units are either gone or through the roof in pricing......
Are you saying the the Carpenter antenna you received recently that cost 90.00 still rattled?

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2017, 04:05:25 PM »
No, The one I received here about 8-9 months ago from Carpenter was a unit that the package was dated 2014 as I recall (I wish I'd taken a picture of the date stamp)  It was clearly one that had sat on a shelf SINCE 2014 and obviously NOT a "current" one or one that Monroe had a hand in........

I sure don't want to break bad on anyone guys, just would like to have a quality RATTLE-FREE antenna for my car.....

Somewhere someone posted a blueprint of ORIGINAL mast-style antennas (most likely NOT Ford) and how they were made way back in the 50s until they stopped making the telescoping mast style units.......I have NO idea as to how to do it, but the various manufacturers did back then, I cannot understand why it can't be done relitively easy now.....

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2017, 08:40:01 AM »

Has there been any update to this???  Has anyone yet bought the new Carpenter one for $90 and tried it yet???!!???

:o)

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2018, 02:06:20 PM »
Goodmark has one listed and from the pictures it appears to collapse completely.

Anyone have access to one of these?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2018, 10:42:17 AM »
 Update; 10/13/18; I emailed Carpenter about the antenna. I received a reply that "We make the antenna and is should be rattle free"
 I asked if he could personally open the box and inspect the antenna for me to make sure it didn't rattle before I order one and pay the $90 for it.
 Waiting for reply now...…
 I'm not going to spend MY $ BEFORE I get confirmation.....

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2018, 12:33:39 PM »
Update; 10/13/18; I emailed Carpenter about the antenna. I received a reply that "We make the antenna and is should be rattle free"
 I asked if he could personally open the box and inspect the antenna for me to make sure it didn't rattle before I order one and pay the $90 for it.
 Waiting for reply now...…
 I'm not going to spend MY $ BEFORE I get confirmation.....

10/25/18; Still no reply/conformation from them on my question...…..

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2018, 03:28:31 PM »
I experimented with this before I bit the bullet and bought a NOS version that collapses all the way (ball touches next lower mast section).

I do believe there is grease inside of the original mast. I checked around for something I could get into the mast without drilling. I then checked the melting temperature of Vaseline and found it melts at just about 100 deg F.

There is a very small amount of room where each section joins the next. I created some cone shaped dams around the top of each section. The cones must be able to withstand around 120* F.
I heated the antenna with an infrared heater that was arranged vertically and used an infrared thermometer to check its temperature.
I then melted some Vaseline. I did find that if you don't watch Vaseline carefully it will ignite with flames over a foot tall.

WARNING!
VASELINE IS VERY FLAMMABLE!
HEAT THE VASELINE OUTSIDE!
Do not allow it to get much over 100 deg.
DO NOT GET IT NEAR OR ON YOUR HEATER!
You have been warned.

Pour the hot Vaseline into the cones and allow it to seep into the mast sections

I do understand some of you live where 100+ is a summer temperature. However, the Vaseline does not appear to leak out of a mast in the down position.

This was a dangerous task. Do it outside. Have an extinguisher handy. Wear cotton clothes and don't get this stuff on you.

But it did reduce the rattle.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion