Author Topic: Wire crimper  (Read 2049 times)

Offline preaction

Wire crimper
« on: July 31, 2015, 12:42:08 PM »
Can anyone recommend a crimper that creates the crimp that factory connector pins have, the one that crimps on the wire insulation and the copper wire. It seems these two crimps are at two different depths.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Wire crimper
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 10:02:36 PM »
Yes.  Check out Paladin Tools, 1300 series.  There's a die set made for these straight-on pins.  The 90* offset pins, like in brake switches, also are available in die sets (not Paladin, perhaps).  I've yet to find a supplier for those pins.

The Paladin Tool is so-so...it is really hard to crimp two wires onto one pin with this tool.  I'm sure there are better tools out there, but its the one I use.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 11:10:37 AM »
Yes.  Check out Paladin Tools, 1300 series.  There's a die set made for these straight-on pins.  The 90* offset pins, like in brake switches, also are available in die sets (not Paladin, perhaps).  I've yet to find a supplier for those pins.

The Paladin Tool is so-so...it is really hard to crimp two wires onto one pin with this tool.  I'm sure there are better tools out there, but its the one I use.

What are the Die Set numbers to use with this 1300 series set of crimpers. Since the dies themselves can be $30 plus shipping, probably would help limit confusion or frustration
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline preaction

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 12:07:16 PM »
Just my luck the wire im having to redo is a two into one. I have seen these type of crimps forever and didn't realize there is a "right" tool for it thanks.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 08:43:06 PM »
I suspect PA2033 is the die set. 

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 11:13:20 PM »
I suspect PA2033 is the die set. 

Thanks Randy, that is the die set I thought would be best.
I saw this cheaper tool too, not sure if either tool crimps both the small & large crimps simultaniously like I think the O.P. asked about though. This tool I found looks reasonable to accomplish a few small tasks. These are the kinds of things you get exactly what you pay for. Go cheap, you get a cheap quality job. Then you go too expensive for a single use, doesn't make good sense either. Tough call. I have a few I need to do on my turn signal switch or simply install the NOS signal switch I have on hand as a backup plan..
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline midlife

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 09:41:30 AM »
I neglected to mention that the Paladin tool is for spade leads.  The molex-type pins use another tool, but again, that is even more difficult to use two wires.

Tyco makes this crimp tool.