Author Topic: Simple Green on Wiring Harnesses  (Read 5998 times)

Offline Smokey 15

Re: Simple Green on Wiring Harnesses
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 10:42:20 PM »
 I unwrap the harness. Then, after cleaning it gets re-wrapped. My friend, who has wired too many cars to count, has used this method for years with no trouble. He guarantees his workmanship for life and gets no problems. Thorough drying is easy. Wiring harnesses, in everyday drivers are subjected to the elements all the time for years.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 08:59:15 AM by Smokey 15 »

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 07:22:55 AM »
I am sure this will clean the wiring to look good, but I have to wonder how you would fully dry the wiring inside the insulation. Living in the rust belt, I have seen multiple times what happens to the copper insides of a wire that somebody simply "pricked" with a test light before and then road salt gets inside the insulation. The corrosion travels several feet up/down the pricked wire and even at times, the full length of the copper conductor! Not a pretty sight when you try and repair a bad circuit, and you keep cutting back the wire and find only brown copper, not bright-shiney copper. Almost impossible to get solder to stick to brown copper.(to repair a bad wire)

Sorry, I'm finding it difficult to support anything submeging the harnesses, but maybe I'm just weird that way.
I agree 100%.  Submerging a harness in any liquid, even after air drying, is asking for trouble.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 07:39:09 AM »
This is one of the reasons why I use denatured alcohol.  It evaporates quickly and leaves no residue.  Once I confirmed, by means of testing, that there was no effect on the wire colors, it sealed the deal for me.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660