Author Topic: 69 Cougar Eliminator Under Body Sound Deadener  (Read 2925 times)

Offline 69eliminator

69 Cougar Eliminator Under Body Sound Deadener
« on: August 30, 2015, 10:41:09 PM »
Can anyone describe the proper texture and approximate thickness. Trying to decipher if it should be an asphalt based product and appears to be quite thin i most areas.

thanks
brian

Mod note: This topic was split from one that was originally posted elsewhere and was split to better focus on a specific need and model.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 04:03:09 PM by J_Speegle »
1969 Cougar Eliminator 428 CJ Q Code with AC , PS, PDB, C6 Transmission,Traction-Lok Diff. 3.00. Bright yellow paint.
Dearborn 6/69

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Cougar Eliminator Under Body Sound Deadener
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 12:52:15 AM »
One questions for you - I'm guessing this is for your Cougar.

And since that isn't our current focus you'll have to help out. Did all Cougars receive sound deadener applied down the driveline tunnel (from behind the trans) and more (to the floors) was added on the XR7's ?

Just asking since the few pictures of Cougar undercarriages I've got seem to suggest that. If so the areas shown below are not possibly the same as your asking about. Instead you might only need the center pass of the three the Mach i's, some Boss's and Grande's received

« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 04:04:38 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 69eliminator

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 08:17:34 AM »
Hi Jeff,
Yes it is for my Cougar. Please find attached  some photos of the car. I looks to me like  there is deadener down the tunnel section but very light (if any) on the other two outside passes. I would like another opinion based on the attached photos before trying to replicate.

As always, I greatly appreciate the help.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 04:03:39 PM by J_Speegle »
1969 Cougar Eliminator 428 CJ Q Code with AC , PS, PDB, C6 Transmission,Traction-Lok Diff. 3.00. Bright yellow paint.
Dearborn 6/69

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 04:16:40 PM »
(Split the topic to get us focused on Cougars only)

Since you have photo documentation I would just reproduce/copy what you found. It does not appear to be dealer done, or added to by a PO.

With that said it looks like that  the worker applying the product to your car stood at/near the end of the trans and shot back wards with the wand rather than walking backwards while applying. This produced a coat that appears (just based on what I can see in the pictures) a much thinner coat at the rear than at the front.

To help the discussion here are a few 69 Dearborn Cougar examples where they were only coated in the tunnel. It appears that (though it could happen of the worker got off target) they didn't plan on doing the floors on these examples/model of Cougar

Hope this helps

Nice picture showing the angle the exhaust clamps were installed from. Worker just stood in the one spot while tightening

Sample to show the thickness and close up of the texture of this one example

« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 04:19:54 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 69eliminator

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 08:54:53 PM »
Jeff,
Many thanks as always.
Dearborn 6/69

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 03:41:50 PM »
Mine ended up getting a heavy coat sprayed on the passenger side floor, but none / almost none on the driver's side floor!  Guess the guy on that side of the line was on break when my car went by, LOL!

For those keeping track, remember this is a '70 Cougar (Oct '69 / Dearborn build) not a '69.  Just posting for comparison.

Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!