Author Topic: 69 Boss Engine Compartment - What holes need to be welded up?  (Read 3458 times)

Offline supersnake

69 Boss Engine Compartment - What holes need to be welded up?
« on: September 10, 2015, 03:15:16 AM »
Got my body back from blasting and need some help determining which holes need welding up.  Can someone look at the pictures and let me know.  Or point me in the direction of some nice engine compartment shots.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Boss Engine Compartment - What holes need to be welded up?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 08:10:45 PM »
Firewall sections look stock.

Battery box has a little rust rot that will need repairing

Now the drivers side front inner panel and the shock tower both have extra holes.

Not going to be easy since some of those holes are pretty close and one may be factory while the others are not. Because of this you'll need to try the bracket or part that mounts there to determine which stays.

Will try and put together a picture of which one you can leave, and which ones are in question.

Remember on the inner panel you have the rev limiter and its rai gutter as well as wiring retainers, fuel line holes and windshield washer mounting holes
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline supersnake

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 02:07:50 AM »
Thanks.  I see the rot on the battery box and the extra holes on the shock tower.

Inner drivers side, what typically is installed there?   Brake proportioning valve, wire clips, hood hinge, anything else?
Getting a marked up picture of the inner panel would be fantastic.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 02:18:55 AM »
Inner drivers side, what typically is installed there?   Brake proportioning valve, wire clips, hood hinge, anything else?
Getting a marked up picture of the inner panel would be fantastic.

You only posted the front drivers side and there are allot of extra holes there. In the prior post I mentioned most if not all the things that would be mounted there - a popular place to "add" things
Jeff Speegle

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 03:28:20 PM »
I have some shots of '70 cougar front driver's side inner aprons that I took when I was trying to figure out where my Rev Limiter should be mounted.  I imagine they are somewhat different, but I can post them if you are interested.  I'm offering, since no one else has posted reference pics for the OP.

Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline supersnake

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 02:15:39 AM »
Sure.  I would appreciate it as I could use all the reference material I can get my hands on.  I need to instruct my welder on the holes to fill or not and some of the tough ones are the ones used for wire ties.

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 04:11:56 PM »
Sure.  I would appreciate it as I could use all the reference material I can get my hands on.  I need to instruct my welder on the holes to fill or not and some of the tough ones are the ones used for wire ties.

I put a bunch of reference pics in a folder, here: http://imgur.com/a/tW553

I found a few '69 mustang reference pics as well, so I labelled them all ~ '70 cougar vs '69 mustang, to try to avoid confusion.

Looks to me like they added dimples for the rev limiter and rain gutter on the '70 sheet metal.

Hope these help you out!
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 08:08:02 PM »
Sorry had to wait for a chance to get to my Boss at the shop.

For your comparison here are a bunch of shots of the drivers side front inner panel. The one that appears to have received allot of extra attention from a PO

Hope this helps
Car is from around 9F1883xx

Forward of the rev limiter. Not sure why there are four prepunched (unused) inline holes but believe they are original to the panel (dated 4/21)

Jeff Speegle

Offline supersnake

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 07:48:52 PM »
Thanks for posting all of the photos, both of you!  This will now help me to proceed with the body work!!!