Author Topic: High Quality Replicas, what judging class?  (Read 1830 times)

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• '68 KR,'69 Boss9, '64 FIA Cobra
High Quality Replicas, what judging class?
« on: November 19, 2015, 04:02:05 PM »
This news item has caught lots of discussion on the SAAC and Team Shelby TDBs, but as for the Mustang replicas they make, is there an MCA judging class for them?

http://revologycars.com/media-alert-revology-carsrevology-prepares-to-produce-shelby-mustang-replicas/
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: High Quality Replicas, what judging class?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 06:07:06 PM »
MCA used to have a Dynacorn class, but it was dissolved as there weren't any cars being entered in the class.  There were some folks that were quite upset at even having the class.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that some of these shells are sold as a 'replacement part'. 

For now, Dynacorn built cars and these new Revology can be entered in the MCA display class.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 07:25:02 PM »
Believe MCA has a requirement for the car to be Ford powered and be registered as a Ford (at least it use to)

Since these cars in most states are registered as kit cars or the same as street rods (special construction vehicles) they could be shown in other than a display or special interest  from my understanding.

Don't seem to be catching on - haven't seen any at shows other than what the company has out there. Friends had plenty of issues with the Dynacorn cars - most left unregistered and only driven illegally on the street on rare occasions. But that is another story
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 07:45:43 PM »
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that some of these shells are sold as a 'replacement part'. 

It's not without precedent. From Aug. '67 MPC. Does anyone know of an example of this actually happening?
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• '68 KR,'69 Boss9, '64 FIA Cobra
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 07:54:14 PM »

Since these cars in most states are registered as kit cars or the same as street rods (special construction vehicles) they could be shown in other than a display or special interest  from my understanding.

Don't seem to be catching on - haven't seen any at shows other than what the company has out there. Friends had plenty of issues with the Dynacorn cars - most left unregistered and only driven illegally on the street on rare occasions. But that is another story

That seems to be the tricky part of all this, if sold under an MSO, mucho problems to get registered and tilted in most states, and if the body is not very good anyway, what's the point?  May as well buy a basket case '65-'68 and just resto-mod that with the same parts.  Cost should be about the same, but lots more work working with a basket case unibody.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 11:30:29 PM »
I would think the modified class is the one, unless there is a disclaimer that you got to have at least one item from that period. It seems that everything is modified.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline caspian65

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 12:31:29 AM »
It's not without precedent. From Aug. '67 MPC. Does anyone know of an example of this actually happening?

Nice!  Thanks for sharing.  ;D
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 09:07:33 AM »
Nice!  Thanks for sharing.  ;D

No problem, glad to share. I just acquired a partial set of the 60-68 MPC. I have the first section through 12000, and the body section. The body section has the illustration pages inserted along with the text. Some of the differences with the '75 edition are very interesting!

FYI the replacement body section only lists '68, as that is what was in production at the time of publication. There's no mention of availability for earlier model years. Not a surprise. It seems like it would be an extremely rare occurrence for someone to order a complete body, except perhaps for racing? Like the late model body-in-white program?
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline C6ZZGT

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 05:15:48 PM »
Dave,as a current Ford parts guy,I`ll say that truck cabs and boxes are usually available for the current model yr only. I have not seen any car bodies available at all,except for what Ford Racing has.
Brian
66 GT Coupe 6R07A143871 owned since 1983
35+ yr partsman,over 20 with Ford.