Author Topic: Plating Color Chart Including Description  (Read 2991 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Plating Color Chart Including Description
« on: December 08, 2015, 06:11:08 AM »
Is there a Plating Color or Description Chart with common application of the common fastener and parts plating?

I'm not sure if I am asking this correctly, but in very many threads on this site, we are talking about plating and finish of bolts, fasteners or other items (lamp housings, brackets etc.) and I suppose it is assumed we all already know what each of these finishes ARE upon mentioning or upon sight but as for me, I am not well schooled on these things. I am reaching that time in my project that I wll soon be grouping these items together to have batches done and would at least like to easily identify what gets grouped together.

Maybe I am asking for a pictorial of "Plating ~101" ???
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
Re: Plating Color Chart Including Description
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 09:05:50 AM »
This guide from a different site is helpful:

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/new_page_26.htm

There are a couple of phrases such as "Phosphate and Oil over Zinc" and "Phosphate and Oil over Manganese" that are not exactly correct from a technical standpoint, and he leaves out zinc plating without chromate, but overall it's a good quick introduction with some helpful photographs.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 10:13:39 AM »
It would be nice to get that type of information in the library section so it is all in one place.
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 02:55:14 PM »
Is there a Plating Color or Description Chart with common application of the common fastener and parts plating?

I'm not sure if I am asking this correctly, but in very many threads on this site, we are talking about plating and finish of bolts, fasteners or other items (lamp housings, brackets etc.) and I suppose it is assumed we all already know what each of these finishes ARE upon mentioning or upon sight but as for me, I am not well schooled on these things. I am reaching that time in my project that I wll soon be grouping these items together to have batches done and would at least like to easily identify what gets grouped together.

Maybe I am asking for a pictorial of "Plating ~101" ???
A listing of the different type of finishes used on the Ford parts comes in the glossary of the AMK guide to fasteners which you need to decipher the code for the individual fasteners illustrated in the assemblyline manuals. It is a required book along with the assemblyline manuals for the Plating 101 course. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 04:05:11 PM »
It would be nice to get that type of information in the library section so it is all in one place.

Have considered doing one - without all the chem course descriptions of how the plating takes place ;)

One of those projects where I've collected about 70% of the examples - waiting to find time to get the others and choosing a format/layout to best present the information.

Of course many of the platings will have to illustrated by a number of examples since they can take on different looks depending on the part, area of surface plated and such
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 04:30:55 PM »
Why re-invent the wheel? Try http://topics.sae.org/materials/automotive/ There are others.
Most of the current published "color charts" I seen have usually include a range for any given finish. Plus, there are way too many variables dictated by chemical manufacturers, their processes and government regulations to gave any single answer. To publish any chart, there's the old standby answer, your monitor will not display the same colors as mine. Just some thoughts.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 05:14:45 PM »
Just thought a short (ten pages or less) & quick guide would be helpful - especially using plating on parts we are familiar (Ford or Mustang pieces) rather and industrial examples.

Looked at the stalled/on the back burner article and it appears I'm only short a few examples before it could be reviewed

Missing

S9 - Zinc Plating  w/Clear Dichromate
S42 - Cadmium Plating w/Black
S46 - Black Phenolic
S-X - Wax Sealant  (guessing that some hood trim screws would be one good example - just need to dig some out with the coating still nice and fresh

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 05:17:44 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 05:40:19 PM »
This guide from a different site is helpful:

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/new_page_26.htm

There are a couple of phrases such as "Phosphate and Oil over Zinc" and "Phosphate and Oil over Manganese" that are not exactly correct from a technical standpoint, and he leaves out zinc plating without chromate, but overall it's a good quick introduction with some helpful photographs.

THIS is what I was asking for and YES, some form would be nice to see in the Library section or under each year category of sorts. Thank you for the link!

A listing of the different type of finishes used on the Ford parts comes in the glossary of the AMK guide to fasteners which you need to decipher the code for the individual fasteners illustrated in the assemblyline manuals. It is a required book along with the assemblyline manuals for the Plating 101 course. ;)

Yes, I am familiar with their catalog and linking it to the service manual but many items in BOTH locations are NOT the same as assemblyline hardware. Thanks though for the reference for others to look into.

Just thought a short (ten pages or less) & quick guide would be helpful - especially using plating on parts we are familiar (Ford or Mustang pieces) rather and industrial examples.

Looked at the stalled/on the back burner article and it appears I'm only short a few examples before it could be reviewed

Missing

S9 - Zinc Plating  w/Clear Dichromate
S42 - Cadmium Plating w/Black
S46 - Black Phenolic
S-X - Wax Sealant  (guessing that some hood trim screws would be one good example - just need to dig some out with the coating still nice and fresh

Sounds like we are thinking along the same lines, good to know it is in the works.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 05:42:54 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 06:23:16 PM »

Yes, I am familiar with their catalog and linking it to the service manual but many items in BOTH locations are NOT the same as assemblyline hardware. Thanks though for the reference for others to look into.

It is the individual parts that are typically physically different in dimension ,marking nueance etc.or and the installation technique   .The appearance of the finish on the fastener called out in the assembly line manual on the other hand you will find is not typically different between real world and engineering drawing. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby