Author Topic: Repro Battery  (Read 7900 times)

Offline Richard P.

Re: Repro Battery
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 08:51:03 PM »
Unfortunate but true. I had three Mustangs (one 65 Fastback, 2 66 Fastbacks) with reproduction Autolite type 27 batteries and they lasted about two-three years. The local Excide Battery guy was blunt, you need to drive the cars almost every day to keep that type of battery charged. That's the big secret. I thought a trickle charger would help, it didn't. I currently use a $100 battery with a 48 month warranty instead of a $250 battery with a 90 day warranty in each car. Economics 101.
Jim

Will the Autolite  type 27 battery fit a 1965/66 Mustang battery tray?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 10:50:28 PM »
Will the Autolite  type 27 battery fit a 1965/66 Mustang battery tray?
No or for 67/68 . Too long . Even in the 69 /70's there was a special tray for that large size.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 07:38:34 AM »
I simply cannot understand the need to make a reproduction case look right THEN put a wheelchair battery inside it with "an electronic devise"

What the hell is so secret about this electronic devise????  (STUPID)

Do the repro battery makers think they are doing us a favor by making these things? or are they just lining their pockets from OUR stupidity?

The concept of sealed batteries isn't new by any means, and I wouldn't think that making a correct battery case would be hard to do either, obviously they HAVE the molds to do this.......

And as far as ever seeing a correct group 22F battery properly reproduced, I don't think there is anywhere near enough demand for them......

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 09:23:08 AM »

And as far as ever seeing a correct group 22F battery properly reproduced, I don't think there is anywhere near enough demand for them......

The vast majority of the first generation cars used the 22F. I would think at least among the group on this forum there would be demand for them.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 10:39:06 AM »
The vast majority of the first generation cars used the 22F. I would think at least among the group on this forum there would be demand for them.
+1 . Add more demand aside from this forum when many others are educated in knowing that the majority of 65-67 used the 22 as assemblyline
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 10:42:12 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline BobV

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 08:15:20 PM »
I think the battery manufacturers / Mustang parts houses are missing out here....

The only reason to have a correct appearing battery is for concours show use.
Plenty of people use old, dead batteries for show.

Why not just manufacture exact reproduction empty CASES for each year/group without any guts FOR SHOW USE?
If a user wants to modify it with a small cheater battery, make a kit available, or let me fill it with water/leave empty.
Can't be too outrageous to do, given all the 3D printers and open CNC machining time available.

I need a 1983-1986 BX-63 battery. DEAD ones run $500 (ridiculous IMHO). There are NO live ones available, so I'm stuck with either building a dummy OR using the "current" group 56, and/or lugging around a dead/gutted BX63 anyway. Since there is NO requirement for the battery to be functional, why not just build cases for show use and be done?  :o :P ;)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:22:37 PM by BobV »
1986 Saleen Mustang
51k miles 98% original

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2016, 01:23:21 PM »
I think the battery manufacturers / Mustang parts houses are missing out here....

Why not just manufacture exact reproduction empty CASES for each year/group without any guts FOR SHOW USE?
If a user wants to modify it with a small cheater battery, make a kit available, or let me fill it with water/leave empty.
Can't be too outrageous to do, given all the 3D printers and open CNC machining time available.

I need a 1983-1986 BX-63 battery. DEAD ones run $500 (ridiculous IMHO). There are NO live ones available, so I'm stuck with either building a dummy OR using the "current" group 56, and/or lugging around a dead/gutted BX63 anyway. Since there is NO requirement for the battery to be functional, why not just build cases for show use and be done?  :o :P ;)

That is a pretty good idea.  Lighter than a dead battery too.  Pretty plastic box of air... $75? 
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2016, 02:18:39 PM »

I need a 1983-1986 BX-63 battery. DEAD ones run $500 (ridiculous IMHO). There are NO live ones available...

I'd pay $500 for a 67 Assembly line 22F. Hook me up with a pallet load of them at that price ;)

... and they would all be sold again in no time at twice that!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline C6ZZGT

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2016, 05:47:40 PM »
Last time I needed a battery for my 66,i found the Motorcraft no longer had the lip on it so bought an AC Delco instead-it had the lip.
Brian
66 GT Coupe 6R07A143871 owned since 1983
40+ yr parts man , over 25 with Ford.

Offline KevinK

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2016, 01:23:51 AM »

I suggested the empty plastic box idea a while back since none of the repo makers were interested in making any more model. There are plenty of actual battery power options to put inside the case. Seems simple to make cases.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2016, 01:28:23 AM »
I suggested the empty plastic box idea a while back since none of the repo makers were interested in making any more model. There are plenty of actual battery power options to put inside the case. Seems simple to make cases.
Kevin ,the injection molds to make the case is the expensive part not the internal battery.

Offline KevinK

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2016, 12:36:31 PM »
Yes, Bob. I do realize there is still considerable expense in making them.  i guees I was hoping that we could get more suppliers interested by just dealing with a plastic box. It seems the battery guys are done developing products.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline Rbisch4

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2016, 06:28:24 PM »
I am currently using on of the repo 24 batteries from http://www.restorationbattery.com.  Battery looks great and cranks my 351C 4V over every time I turn the key.  It only has been about 6 months and I am just finishing up the restoration so I do not have much long term testing to report on.  They were quick and responsive to questions about the battery and with the 4yr warranty I just could not resist having the original look under the hood.

1970 Mach 1 351 4V 4spd Metuchen Built

Offline Building 3

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2016, 07:11:38 PM »
I bought my battery from from Antique Auto Battery in 2012. It came with a 4-year warranty.  It is an AGM type with 750 Cold Cranking Amps. I only put the AGM specific trickle charger on it when the voltage drops as indicated by my battery tester. The car gets driven once a week or so during the spring to the fall.  Then it sits the winter out. The charger has not been on it since March.  I use a battery disconnect when it sits in the garage.
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.