Author Topic: Transmission Crossmember Questions  (Read 3989 times)

Offline C9ZZ-16228-B

Transmission Crossmember Questions
« on: January 24, 2016, 06:52:07 PM »
Hi, has anyone seen a clip like the one in the pictures on a C7ZZ-6A023-C 1967 C4 or SB M/T crossmember?  When i found the first one i thought someone had just stuck something on there to possibly keep the speedo cable from rubbing, but then i found two more as i was going through about 30 of these crossmembers.  I was thinking it could be for 4 speed speedo cable routing, but that can't be it because they're all on the driver's side.  I only found them on the early '67 crossmembers, didn't see any on C7ZZ-6A023-D's.  Any ideas?  The date codes on these three crossmembers is 1 9 A2; 1 13 A2; and 2 1 A2. 

Also, anyone know the meaning behind the "x"s stamped on some (maybe most, but not all) trans crossmembers? 

Lastly, does anyone have a picture of a confirmed C9ZZ-6A023-C that fits the 69 250E?  I have some anomalies that don't quite match the majority of other crossmembers i'm going through, and this is one that i haven't been able to come up with anything on.  Since i spent all morning sorting through piles of crossmembers, i decided to attempt the "Definitive* Transmission Crossmember Guide" that i'll try to post here soon.

Thanks for any help!
garrett

*(definitive in no way means complete or totally accurate; after all, this is Ford we're dealing with.)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Transmission Crossmember Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 08:08:39 PM »
Hi, has anyone seen a clip like the one in the pictures on a C7ZZ-6A023-C 1967 C4 or SB M/T crossmember?  When i found the first one i thought someone had just stuck something on there to possibly keep the speedo cable from rubbing, but then i found two more as i was going through about 30 of these crossmembers.  I was thinking it could be for 4 speed speedo cable routing, but that can't be it because they're all on the driver's side.  I only found them on the early '67 crossmembers, didn't see any on C7ZZ-6A023-D's.  Any ideas?  The date codes on these three crossmembers is 1 9 A2; 1 13 A2; and 2 1 A2. 

Don't recall ever seeing those "clips"  the date codes you posted don't seem to fit the "early" time period. And apparently you've not kept track from where this, now loose, parts came from (VIN or other identifiers). Were they found on cars produced from all three plants?

So to clarify - did you find them on automatic, 3 speed or 4 speed cross members. Will look through my pictures to see what I can find as far as any cars using these clips but need the application you've found them on since part numbers mean nothing to me looking at a car ;)

Also, anyone know the meaning behind the "x"s stamped on some (maybe most, but not all) trans crossmembers? 

You can find stamped "x" on some stamped sheet metal parts (trunk latch supports and quarter panels on some years come to mind. Not sure what they might have indicated to the tamper or maker of the part

Lastly, does anyone have a picture of a confirmed C9ZZ-6A023-C that fits the 69 250E? 

The part number I see listed on a later MPC is the -B. Don't know anyone that has one of these that has had it out for a picture. Also don't know how many 70s were built with the larger engine but would guess those would be much easier to find for a resource

BTW for a guide IMHO part numbers are of little importance since the parts don't carry an engineering number and the part number doesn't relate to much after almost 50 years. Its more about the ability to identify them from one another or on a car. Just my experience
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline C9ZZ-16228-B

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 10:10:42 PM »
I wish I did have the info of what cars they came off of, but this is stuff that's been accumulating at my shop for forty years, most of it from cars stripped down before i started working here.  From old VIN records and what i have learned from you and the other gurus here about distinguishing the different plants, most of the cars that got parted out were built in San Jose, which makes sense since we're in California.

Don't recall ever seeing those "clips"  the date codes you posted don't seem to fit the "early" time period. And apparently you've not kept track from where this, now loose, parts came from (VIN or other identifiers). Were they found on cars produced from all three plants?

Sorry, to clarify "early" i mean the C7ZZ-6A023-C crossmember from '67 which was replaced by the C7ZZ-6A023-D for '68-'70.  The most evident differences are the size and shape of the "notch" on the driver's side of the crossmember (see picture) and the width from front to rear at the center of the piece. 

So to clarify - did you find them on automatic, 3 speed or 4 speed cross members. Will look through my pictures to see what I can find as far as any cars using these clips but need the application you've found them on since part numbers mean nothing to me looking at a car ;)

Yeah, i wish the stuff was marked better when it was taken off of cars.  I'm doing my best to "back into" identifying parts using MPC's, OSI's, and Cross References, so I'm coming at the situation from the part number end, and using this and other forums for research I've been able to figure quite a bit out.   It helps having several of something to compare side by side too.  For example, there's two versions of the '69-'70 FMX crossmember, both under service number C9ZZ-6A023-A but having engineering numbers C9ZA-5059-A and C9ZA-5059-B.  Even though the engineering number isn't stamped anywhere on the part, I knew there were two versions and looked through my pile of those to spot the difference(s), which in this case is the length of the holes where the trans mount attaches to the crossmember (7/8" and 1 1/8")(see pics). 

The part number I see listed on a later MPC is the -B. Don't know anyone that has one of these that has had it out for a picture. Also don't know how many 70s were built with the larger engine but would guess those would be much easier to find for a resource

The C9ZZ-6A023-C shows specifically for the 1969 250E model, and was obsoleted early on (my January 1974 OSI shows it already gone and not replaced).  The regular 250 in 1969 and in 1970-72 do show using the C9ZZ-B.  I can't quite figure out the reason for this particular difference yet, but there were a lot of weird differences in drivetrain between the 1969 250 and 250E.

BTW for a guide IMHO part numbers are of little importance since the parts don't carry an engineering number and the part number doesn't relate to much after almost 50 years. Its more about the ability to identify them from one another or on a car. Just my experience

I would for sure include pictures in my findings.  I use the numbers to give me a beginning idea of how many versions i'm looking for.  Like the three iterations of the 1965 trans crossmember.  Or the three versions of the 65-66 front vertical door glass channel (besides the service replacement without the plastic).

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 01:41:52 AM »
That spring steel piece you refer to as a clip is actually a protector for the speedometer cable. My four speed '67 mustang has it.  It keeps the cable from rubbing the rough edges on the stamped transmission crossover.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 01:36:56 PM »
I have seen that clip too.  8)
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline C9ZZ-16228-B

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 09:29:43 PM »
For anyone interested, I've found some more info on that tube clip i was asking about.  According to an old Ford MPC, it's part number C7ZZ-17266-A, and fits all '67 6 cyl and 289's with C4 transmissions.  I've attached the entry out of my parts book.  This brings up some new questions, now.  It seems the majority of surviving '67 crossmembers don't have this clip.  Did all applicable cars start with it and then it either rusted off or was taken off during some service to the cars?  Or was factory installation spotty at best?   And lastly, why is it called a No. 2 bulldog tube?

Questions to ponder.

garrett

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 12:38:43 AM »
The vehicle that did have it that I had the crossmember from was actually a '67 C code with a C4. I had forgotten where that came from.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 11:53:54 AM »
For anyone interested, I've found some more info on that tube clip i was asking about.  According to an old Ford MPC, it's part number C7ZZ-17266-A, and fits all '67 6 cyl and 289's with C4 transmissions.  I've attached the entry out of my parts book.  This brings up some new questions, now.  It seems the majority of surviving '67 crossmembers don't have this clip.  Did all applicable cars start with it and then it either rusted off or was taken off during some service to the cars?  Or was factory installation spotty at best?   And lastly, why is it called a No. 2 bulldog tube?

Questions to ponder.

garrett

I found an NOS C7ZZ-17266-A, picture attached.  I'll have to get more pictures that show the open portion of the clip that slides onto the cross member.

As for the bulldog clip term, it is apparently a commonly used term, referencing the second picture.

I checked the 1965 and 69 fastener manuals and neither showed anything close to this clip.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 11:57:28 AM by 67gta289 »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 05:53:17 PM »
OK, finally found the paper with a printed 1967 Service Bulletin No. 39 (may be a Mercury Bulletin?)
Clip to be installed to prevent chaffing on the speedometer cable.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 10:51:00 PM »
So does the bulletin mention any dates when Ford started to include them. Doubt if they printed when they stopped as it seems typical
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 05:21:00 AM »
So does the bulletin mention any dates when Ford started to include them. Doubt if they printed when they stopped as it seems typical
...the C7ZZ-6A023-C crossmember from '67 which was replaced by the C7ZZ-6A023-D for '68-'70.  The most evident differences are the size and shape of the "notch" on the driver's side of the crossmember (see picture) and the width from front to rear at the center of the piece. 

Yes, a date from the Service Bulletin would help determine what time period, if any, these clips may have been factory installed. I get the feeling they were not likely ever an assemblyline item or only used for a short period of time till inventory switched out at the plants (since the reference material Scott shared is a Service Bulletin). I would say It looks more like yet another Running Change made in the 67 model year where they implemented the use of the "-D" crossmember.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments