Author Topic: Special Order Paint Cars  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Dave Stribling

Special Order Paint Cars
« on: June 07, 2010, 12:52:56 PM »
The special order paint code does not show up on the Marti reports.  Will the paint code show up on the Emiger report, or is there any way of finding out the original paint code for a car if you don't have the stciker (previous owner painted over it)

Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Special Order Paint Cars
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 03:48:43 PM »
The special order paint code does not show up on the Marti reports.  Will the paint code show up on the Emiger report, or is there any way of finding out the original paint code for a car if you don't have the stciker (previous owner painted over it)

If the car has an original build sheet or sometimes (depending on plant) the buck tag then you can use those to determine (with the help of a fleet color book) the original color. The other option would be to use a sample of the original paint from an area hidden from the elements and compare that to the fleet color book.

Lacking any of those there is no way to determine what the original color was of the car

No the invoice does not - as you found that Ford records do not have this information
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Dave Stribling

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
Would the Ford special paint selector book the delaers use show the WT codes for 1970?  The car has been repainted and we don't have an area to check.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 08:33:53 PM »
Would the Ford special paint selector book the delaers use show the WT codes for 1970?  The car has been repainted and we don't have an area to check.

Yes  if its a book from 70 or a couple years following.

Do you have a code from one of the sources?   I do have a Fleet color book as do a few others
Jeff Speegle

Offline Dave Stribling

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 12:41:51 PM »
No I don't have a code.  It is a dark brown, but not Chestnut.  I need the Ford code, I can get the TW code paint match if I can find the Ford Special paint book. No code listed on the marti report, none of the door sticker.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 01:58:13 AM »
No I don't have a code.  It is a dark brown, but not Chestnut.  I need the Ford code, I can get the TW code paint match if I can find the Ford Special paint book. No code listed on the marti report, none of the door sticker.

No buck tag either I guess.

Is the brown on anything that you can take off the car and send?
Jeff Speegle

Offline Dave Stribling

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 11:13:40 AM »
No buck tag, no build sheet (there is a remnant of the buck tag still under the screw - does that count? ). ::)

Here's a pic of the color.  It's a Hershey's chocolate brown with slight metallic.  I didn't see anything in the MErcury or Lincoln lines, and there are several brown WT paint codes.  The car has been painted several times so I found this on the back area. Look around the molding clips area for the best color:

I'll go scrape some window sealer and get a better pic.

Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 05:33:12 PM »
Yes clean it up and add a little polish, then attempt to figure out if its a metallic or non metallic color.

My book has one metallic that might be it or three non metallic ones that are close - if we can trust your camera settings or my monitor settings ;)
Jeff Speegle