Author Topic: Trac Lok differential friction clutch material in oil.  (Read 1247 times)

1967 eight barrel

Trac Lok differential friction clutch material in oil.
« on: March 24, 2016, 02:26:03 AM »
My friend pulled the 9" trac lok differential from his vehicle because of a very small leak between the carrier/housing. The carrier has no mileage on it other than a few joy rides through the neighborhood. There was a material that looked like a small bit of sludge in the bottom of the housing. My assumption is that it was likely friction material from the clutches seating. Has anyone else noted this kind of phenomenon in a vehicle with less than 10 miles on a rebuilt differential? Yes, hypoid was added when the carrier was installed.
                                                                                                                      -Keith

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Trac Lok differential friction clutch material in oil.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 06:19:59 AM »
It would be difficult to say for sure, but most builders use a form of assembly lube on bearing races & such since many rebuilds sit on the shelf a while (pre-lube & corrosion protection)

My assumption would be that what was found is the assemby lube. Maybe take a sample and examine in an intense light, look for anything metalic if you are concerned.

Other possibilities might include a "less than 100%" cleaning of the differential housing. I assume this is not the case.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

1967 eight barrel

Re: Trac Lok differential friction clutch material in oil.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 03:51:03 PM »
Richard,
 There are two small magnets in the bottom of the housing. Nothing metallic what so ever. However, now that you mention it, it may have been moly from assembly lube. It did look much like the oil pan I took off an engine that had just been run in. I have a Detroit locker, no friction material.

-Keith