Author Topic: Rebuilt Carburetor Priming -  (Read 1208 times)

Online jwc66k

Rebuilt Carburetor Priming -
« on: September 23, 2016, 07:32:32 PM »
After an unknown long period of time, I got around to rebuilding the carburetor on my 65 GT Fastback. The carb is a C5ZF-9500-D, 4100. It definitely needed the rebuild. Way back in the dark ages, mid 60's if I recollect, I worked part time at a gas station. The owner, Chapman, was an old style mechanic that did everything by the book, the one he wrote. One of his techniques was to prime a carburetor, aka - put gas in the float bowl, after it was rebuilt or removed for any reason. How he did it was different for almost every car. Attached is my version for an Autolite 4100 carburetor. I assume the same technique will work on a 2100. Other carburetors I can't answer for.
The first thing I did was determine the capacity of the primary (front) float bowl. It's a bit less than 3 ounces. I measured out 4 ounces in a Pyrex 8 ounce measuring cup. I used a glass version as it's easy to clean (and nobody in the kitchen will know). I poured enough to get the floats to "float". This step is useful to determine if you: have leaks; the accelerator pump works; have leaks (I did).
The next step is done after the carburetor is reassembled and installed. For a known empty 4100, the best way to insure you got gas in the float bowl is to add it. Some rebuilders like to crank the engine to get gas thru from the tank, thru the fuel pump and filter. It takes time, and can put a strain on the starter. To get gas in the carburetor I used a funnel, two hose clamps and a rubber hose. The hose has an inside diameter of 7/32, that will slide over one of the front vent tubes. The lower clamp on the hose is tight enough to get a "snug" fit over the vent tube, which is 0.219in od. The second tube is for the hose to the funnel. In my case, it fit inside the end, the clamp kept it from leaking.
The next step is obvious, pour in 3 ounces of gas and start the car. Then the fun begins, adjusting the idle, the choke, etc. But you did get the car started.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ruppstang

Re: Rebuilt Carburetor Priming -
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 09:11:11 PM »
Cool Jim but just 30 minutes to late I just started a 289 with a 4100. May be next time.
Thanks for posting.
Marty