Author Topic: Valve stem extensions for 1st Gen cars with wheel covers ?  (Read 8200 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Valve stem extensions for 1st Gen cars with wheel covers ?
« on: October 20, 2016, 12:39:12 PM »
I thought any 1st generation car that had wheel covers shipped in the trunk from the assembly plant came with valve stem extensions in a paper envelope.  Recently was deducted for this at MCA show on the 64.5 Pace Car I restored, thought it was relatively common knowledge.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 08:18:18 PM by carlite65 »
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Murf

Re: Valve stem exetnsions for 1st Gen cars with wheel covers ?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 09:22:32 PM »
I was of the same opinion.  I have always found that  original 65-66 mustangs had 1 1/4 inch valve stems and that if wire wheel covers were factory specified with a particular car then an extension was used to facilitate putting air in the tire. Just one persons thoughts. 
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 10:06:30 PM »
I don't think the wheel covers on that car were of the wire type . If I recall correctly they were standard wheel covers. I believe that the original extensions from Ford had a Silver Aluminum Center. The ones that I saw on that car appeared to have a white center. BTW my phone # is on the judging sheet if you'd like to call. I didn't realize that this car belonged to you. I hope I'm speaking with the owner.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 11:07:12 PM »
I don't think the wheel covers on that car were of the wire type . If I recall correctly they were standard wheel covers. I believe that the original extensions from Ford had a Silver Aluminum Center. The ones that I saw on that car appeared to have a white center. BTW my phone # is on the judging sheet if you'd like to call. I didn't realize that this car belonged to you. I hope I'm speaking with the owner.

I restored the car, you know that good and well.  I'm curious about what others have seen here, I thought maybe I was wrong.  Stephan owns the car, I don't see why it's necessary for him to call you from Germany.  I maintain this car for him here in the US.

Mike Murray's convertible does not have wires and has the extensions.  B. Perkins said he has a box of wheel covers that came in the trunk of one of his cars, had the extensions in an envelope.

The extensions on the car have metal centers, they were NOS in FoMoCo packaging.

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 06:48:23 AM »
Charles.

From memory B Perkins black 52 mile coupe has wire wheel covers and a FOMOCO box in the trunk with valve extensions, cant tell you what style or length they where as the package was still sealed.
He did explain to me the theory behind why they where necessary!!!!

image attached and you can see the small valve extension on the spare

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 10:34:26 AM »
I originally thought that they were only for wire wheel covers, but then Mike's low mileage convertible has them and the standard stem with cap still makes it difficult to get an air chuck with a standard wheel cover.

Thanks for input.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 12:38:00 PM »
Some 20 odd years ago I replaced the wire wheel covers with Style Steel Wheels on my 66 GT Fastback. A couple days ago I repaired a tube on a neighbor's kid's bicycle and found several extensions in the tube repair box (actually a .30cal ammo can). I wondered where they came from. This discussion answers that question. My collection has two different length plastic style, 1 1/8 inch and 1 3/8 inch. (I also found some metal types, 1 1/2 inch.) I would assume the 1 1/8 inch length is correct.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 05:33:33 PM »
I originally thought that they were only for wire wheel covers, but then Mike's low mileage convertible has them and the standard stem with cap still makes it difficult to get an air chuck with a standard wheel cover.

Thanks for input.

Charles,

Thanks for bringing up this topic. It's something that I have always wondered about too. I tried to find some vintage images, but it's always tough to see the valve stems.

Anyway, do you have any pictures of the style of extensions that were most common? Also, what length do you think were used?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 07:49:41 PM »
Here's a pic.  There are varying lengths.  As can be seen in this pic, with the standard size valve stem, if a regular cap was used, it would be hard to get an air chuck on.  With these extensions, the air chuck goes directly on, no need to unscrew.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Valve stem extensions for 1st Gen cars with wheel covers ?
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 08:24:40 PM »
Some additional info.  In the '65 MPC, all the wheel cover kits come with extensions.

The 66 and 67 MPC doesn't list extensions with the wheel covers, but the extensions for Mustang are listed as one item, the 7/8" long C0DD-1705-A

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 08:59:51 PM »
Thanks, Charles!  Yes, I put "standard" length valve stems on my convertible. There is no way that you can put air in without removing the hubcap. I always wondered if extensions were possibly used, rather than a "long" valve stem. Good stuff!

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 10:55:52 PM »
For years Ford only used the short valve stems on all wheels . Cars that got full wheel covers had extensions added at PDI and were included in the prep kit. This continued up into the late 1990-2000's.
  If you think about it it makes since. When the tires were mounted to the rims they didn't know what options the car that they'd end up on was going to have as far as wheel covers or hub caps.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 12:32:42 AM »
FYI try to find the extensions with the silver metal ball valve l (mentioned earlier) like what came on the cars. The more common white plastic ball valve is the typical substitute . The silver ball valve can still be found.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 12:05:26 PM »
Do these look close?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-Of-5-3-4-Tire-Plastic-Valve-Stem-Extensions-/171457432059?hash=item27eba8c9fb:m:mmV30-axzDSOXFFj8j7J2xw&vxp=mt

They look like they have metal centers,  but don't know about the length and style.  Were originals made by Dill?
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 04:02:46 PM »
Do these look close?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-Of-5-3-4-Tire-Plastic-Valve-Stem-Extensions-/171457432059?hash=item27eba8c9fb:m:mmV30-axzDSOXFFj8j7J2xw&vxp=mt

They look like they have metal centers,  but don't know about the length and style.  Were originals made by Dill?
Metal ball valve like you want but too short a different shape.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby