Author Topic: 70 Shelby Conversions at Kar Kraft  (Read 4636 times)

Offline VikingNJ

70 Shelby Conversions at Kar Kraft
« on: October 20, 2016, 03:59:26 PM »
Curious with our knowledge about conversion of 69 Shelby into 70, does there exist any official paperwork or document that members can share by posting it here about what was the required by Kar Kraft to convert 69 cars into 70s. For example, a document with Ford letterhead describing the work required to do or perhaps Kar Kraft letterhead document stating what was done.

Thanks

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 70 Shelby Conversions at Kar Kraft
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 05:22:39 PM »
Curious with our knowledge about conversion of 69 Shelby into 70, does there exist any official paperwork or document that members can share by posting it here about what was the required by Kar Kraft to convert 69 cars into 70s. For example, a document with Ford letterhead describing the work required to do or perhaps Kar Kraft letterhead document stating what was done.

Thanks
There may be and if there is Vinnie Liska SAAC registrar may have it. I have seen a number of different factory documents for bits and pieces which combined form a somewhat complete picture. A friend Ed Meyer has done extensive studies on this issue over the course of many years. There are a few gaps but more about at what stage various parts were substituted rather then what parts were used. We know from the paperwork and studying numerous survivor cars the parts that were upgraded because of the 1970 emission and safety regulations. Other then that what is the purpose of your request?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline VikingNJ

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 11:59:30 AM »
Just curious, may be it would be possible to post and share more factory photos, official letters/correspondences, stuff like that. If none exists then that's OK. Like I said just curious....

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 05:45:19 PM »
Just curious, may be it would be possible to post and share more factory photos, official letters/correspondences, stuff like that. If none exists then that's OK. Like I said just curious....
You might want to go to the SAAC forum website and do a search as this information and pictures has already been covered extensively over a number of topics there. The blanket request to re post everything possible here is quite a large task. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 10:24:50 PM »
Have the pictures (copies) of the ones showing some of the conversion - same as what was posted back a few years ago on SAAC site. Thought I had posted them - appears I didn't. Will get those up this week as a start.

Believe someone was selling a stack of the paperwork (maybe 50 pages of stuff) from 69 - letters, Hertz communications and such a while back. Can't recall who it was at the moment
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 12:19:03 PM »
It looks to me like Nils is coming from a good place. People are reluctant to post "everything" and important information online, because it makes it so much easier for someone that has nefarious intentions.

I am quite sure people here want to be helpful, but they don't want to publish a how to manual for criminals.

I am guessing, you may have seen these photos, but if not....

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/1969Plantpics

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/Ionia

The Kar Kraft shop was significantly smaller than the AO Smith facility.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 12:23:12 PM by Coralsnake »

Offline VikingNJ

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 05:07:05 PM »
My apologies, I must be a little naive as I don't think to use this info in nefarious ways. If info is out there I will always use it for good. I enjoy seeing and reading new info about these cars I love so much. There is so much more history to learn about Shelby cars... We (myself, others and Vinnie) here in northern NJ use to meet regularly and really enjoy talking about these. On many occasions Vinnie shared with me things he had collected over the years. I am truly grateful Vinnie did that.

However, I really was looking for any info specially about the 70 Shelby since that is what I have. Even a picture of seeing leftover 69s being converted at the Kar Kraft factory would really be nice. Even a letter describing something about the 70 conversion would be great as well.

Thanks everyone

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 11:49:24 PM by Coralsnake »

Offline VikingNJ

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 01:31:20 PM »
Thanks so much CoralSnake:

Would you possibly or someone else might have photo from kar kraft actually assembling the front spoiler on 70 Shelby? Or was that done at the dealership?

Again just curious and also would like photos of kar kraft factory assembling 70 shelby...

thanks again....

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 03:12:52 PM »
Thanks so much CoralSnake:

Would you possibly or someone else might have photo from kar kraft actually assembling the front spoiler on 70 Shelby? Or was that done at the dealership?

Again just curious and also would like photos of kar kraft factory assembling 70 shelby...

thanks again....
Spoiler installed at dealer.

Offline VikingNJ

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 05:36:32 PM »
Bob, nice, so it was installed at dealership all along. So really only thing performed at Kar Kraft was paint hood stripes on all 69 shelby allocated to become 70 shelby. How about the 70 door sticker and vin plate up near windshield? Did kar kraft do that (with FBI supervision) or was that done by ford since they took possession of all finished 69 shelby when AO Smith ceased operations. Its nice to know all the history of these cars.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 08:13:47 PM »
Bob, nice, so it was installed at dealership all along. So really only thing performed at Kar Kraft was paint hood stripes on all 69 shelby allocated to become 70 shelby. How about the 70 door sticker and vin plate up near windshield? Did kar kraft do that (with FBI supervision) or was that done by ford since they took possession of all finished 69 shelby when AO Smith ceased operations. Its nice to know all the history of these cars.
Kar Kraft also upgraded the emission requirements for 1970 on the engine which had to do with the distributor (advance curve) and modifications to the carburetor and adding choke cable and sticker (GT500) to the interior. Tire sticker was typically tore off in the glove box and the upgraded sticker applied elsewhere in regular 70 Mustang fashion. Most likely the door VIN sticker and the dash VIN were changed under the supervision of FBI at Kar Kraft. These emission changes along with FBI supervision don't seem to be logistically practical at other then Kar Kraft unlike previous speculation of it being done at dealerships IMO.

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 10:52:05 PM »
It looks to me like Nils is coming from a good place. People are reluctant to post "everything" and important information online, because it makes it so much easier for someone that has nefarious intentions.

I am quite sure people here want to be helpful, but they don't want to publish a how to manual for criminals.

I am guessing, you may have seen these photos, but if not....

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/1969Plantpics

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/Ionia

The Kar Kraft shop was significantly smaller than the AO Smith facility.

absolutely LOVE those pics. thanks for posting them.

The 15th and 16th pictures in the first link, a shot from the rear, is the greenish looking car still wearing a regular sportsroof quarter extension?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 10:58:49 PM by Wanted: factory Calypso Coral 70 convert project »

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 11:58:21 AM »
Here is a better link for the Kar Kraft Brighton plant video.

1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock