Author Topic: Special DSO 65 A-Code Convertible  (Read 1978 times)

Offline FunStang65

• Drive and Enjoy!!! Mustang Living
Special DSO 65 A-Code Convertible
« on: July 12, 2010, 12:23:23 AM »
Hey folks,

A friend of mine has an April 19, 1965 A-code 4sp GT convertible with "white" on blue crinkle interior with a blank color code (hence the "white") and DSO# 721764. I know that both of these factors mean this car has a special history behind it and I was wondering if any of you might be able to help shed some light on this for him. My library is small enough that I don't have the resources to answer his questions.
65 Ivy Green K-Code Convertible
04' Gray GT Convertible

Offline sdgrant

Re: Special DSO 65 A-Code Convertible
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 02:37:05 PM »
The blank color code on the warranty plate does not designate a white exterior, but a special exterior color of unknown designation.  To determine the original paint color would require finding the car's build sheet or digging under the carpet, deep in the trunk, or under the dash pad to find an original spot of exterior paint.  The DSO number of 721764 means this is the 1764th special order unit to come out of DSO 72 (San Jose, CA).  No other historical information can be determined from the information provided or from the car's recent ebay auction.

I communicated with the seller during the auction that I believe the current color is close to Pace Car White, used exclusively on the 190 special Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car coupes in April / May of 1964.  The same paint code (color C, PPG code 8321) was used in Ford's truck line, where it was called Pure White.  The car shows strong evidence of a very complete and thorough re-paint, so its original exterior color is still unknown.
Steve Grant
MCA Certified Judge, '64½ - '66 class
1964½ Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car coupe

Offline FunStang65

• Drive and Enjoy!!! Mustang Living
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 05:17:07 PM »
Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I guess he sold the car anyway since I talked to him last. I was just very intrigued by the DSO and blank color code. It seems like those kind of cars tend to have a special story behind them and I was curious to find out more. I guess the new owner can follow through depending on their interest level. Thanks again for following up on this.
65 Ivy Green K-Code Convertible
04' Gray GT Convertible

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 09:32:28 PM »
Another good spot for finding original exterior paint is underneath the dash pad just behind the bottom of the windshield.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 12:45:59 AM »
I've owned about a dozen special order paint Mustangs through the years- most fell into the "the original owner didn't like the factory colors offered that year". Other times they were part of a promotion a region or dealership was having to improve sales in the area. In the last example the DSO's will match on all or a group of cars in that order

IF you can find a sample (hidden from the elements) of the original color most people will first look to other Ford product lines (the first place salesmen would aim the buyer)  and if not then the Fleet Color Book - a book with a few hundred different color chips for the buyer to choose from

Be warned- some of these choices were often not pleasant for all owner and the reason that they often got paint another color by later owners. This often hides the cars past to may people who look at them unless they check the door tag

From there the buyer completed the order, paid another $30-35 dollars and waited for their car to be built (a common practice at the time)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)