Author Topic: Carburetor...  (Read 2139 times)

Offline bluestang65

Carburetor...
« on: July 21, 2010, 11:12:24 PM »
I have a question about which carburetor is right for my car.  I've got a 65 GT convertible scheduled for May 26 of 65 with a standard transmission.  Right now, it has a C5ZF-C carb on it, but I think it should have had a C5ZF-E carb.  Is this right?  I found a C5ZF-E for sale but it had a 9-1-64 casting date on the bottom, so I balked at it.
What would the tag say on a C5ZF-E?  Also, the Arcadian Blue 1965 Gt convertible built by Charles Turner was just a few thousand cars sequentially before mine, so if anyone knows what the carb tag said on it, that would help me narrow my search tremendously. 
I'm curious what the lead time was on the carbs then.  Most everything i find on the car has a date code very close to the scheduled build date, which tells me that my car was probably built later than expected and that in general, parts didn't get dusty before being put on a car in May of 1965.
Coincidentally, I have a 6Z A carb in the garage with a casting date of 6-1-65.  Could that have been installed on a 65 originally?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Carburetor...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 09:35:58 AM »
The casting date you're seeing on the bottom is very generic.  I've always thought it was the date that the mold was changed and then not changed until another mold came out.  So, in other words, I would not worry much about the base date code being close to your car.

I'm going from memory, but I thought the correct carb for an A code 4 speed was a C5ZF-A.  I know the light blue GT convertible had the original carb on it.  I can check my pics later, although if you have some spare time, most of them are here:  http://www.early-mustang.com/charles/vert/
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline bluestang65

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 10:10:30 AM »
Do you have any other pictures of the car or carb?  I think I've been through all of them and the carb only shows in a couple before the air cleaner is put on. 

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 11:17:54 AM »
I'll check sometime this evening.  I should have the info written down somewhere.

Offline rodster

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 10:47:19 AM »

Lots of info and pictures here:

http://mustangtek.com/4100/ford4100.html

C5ZF-A is a 2V carb I believe.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 12:12:41 AM »
I couldn't find any info on the carb, sorry.  I have a book somewhere that has all the codes on various parts, but have no idea where it is.  Ironically, I do not have a single close-up picture of the carb from that car.  Thought that was kind of weird as many pics I have of everything else.  Mike Ulrey actually restored/rebuilt the carb on that car.  As some may know, he is no longer with us.

Offline bluestang65

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 01:18:52 AM »
Thanks for checking...I'll keep hunting a c5zf-e, unless I hear otherwise.  This is actually the funnest part...