1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1967 Mustang

67 S code alternator mounting help

(1/7) > >>

ceggar:
On a 67 390 with A/C does the top A/C mount, alternator adjusting bracket, and bottom alternator bracket all mount to the same hole on the water pump?No smog. Also I have a 8620M belt that doesnt come close to fitting.thanks

J_Speegle:
Don't have that copy of the assembly manual or AC installation instructions that shows the mounting diagram for the AC. The top mounting hole and the inner adjustment arm for the alternator share the same bolt hole but with everything installed real hard to see (on a ac car) where that passenger side arm of the top brace/idler mount attaches exactly

Appears that some had the alternator mounted in the lower position (those assembled at San Jose)  even without thermactor but guessing that is not the route your following and that would mean different mounting points for those cars

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: ceggar on February 23, 2017, 08:30:59 PM ---On a 67 390 with A/C does the top A/C mount, alternator adjusting bracket, and bottom alternator bracket all mount to the same hole on the water pump?No smog. Also I have a 8620M belt that doesnt come close to fitting.thanks

--- End quote ---
No not the same hole and slightly different shaped adjusting bracket compared to the non air version.

ceggar:
I see where the adjusting bracket mounts along with the a/c bracket, its the lower triangle bracket that wont line up with any other hole than where the adjusting/ac bracket is mounted. Is it possible that triangle bracket was not used with a/c?I have a c6ae-a and c6ae-b adjusting bracket. Is there a different one?Also a lower mount would be fine if some came that way. It originally had smog just not putting it on.Thanks

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: ceggar on February 24, 2017, 12:55:22 PM ---I see where the adjusting bracket mounts along with the a/c bracket, its the lower triangle bracket that wont line up with any other hole than where the adjusting/ac bracket is mounted. Is it possible that triangle bracket was not used with a/c?I have a c6ae-a and c6ae-b adjusting bracket. Is there a different one?Also a lower mount would be fine if some came that way. It originally had smog just not putting it on.Thanks

--- End quote ---
Yes the triangle bracket is used . It is different however then the standard non thermactor triangle non A/C  bracket. The correct A/C triangle bracket has the same bolt pattern and mounting as the thermactor bracket uses. Also the upper adjusting bracket is different too. The correct upper bracket has a small bend /dogleg at the bottom to compensate for the A/C bracket it is bolted on top of.  Without the correct non thermactor adjusting arm for a top mount alternator the arm will be in a bind /twisted and things will not line up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version