Author Topic: Engine ID code help  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Norcal87

Engine ID code help
« on: May 06, 2017, 02:44:38 PM »
Hello mustang Friends today while chageing my oil . I thought look for my engine code well I found it but kinda confused the block date code says November build for engine  but the other code says 1968 and it also says ford Falcon. I was told by my father inlaw he said he's 99 percent sure it's the numbers matching motor

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Engine ID code help
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 05:57:36 PM »
Hello mustang Friends today while chageing my oil . I thought look for my engine code well I found it but kinda confused the block date code says November build for engine  but the other code says 1968 and it also says ford Falcon. I was told by my father inlaw he said he's 99 percent sure it's the numbers matching motor

Not sure what is confusing other than your comparing and trying to decode the design purpose for the engineering number. IMHO that's sort of a waste of time

Remember that almost half of all 68's where built in 67 ;) Since the production year started in the summer and not in January

A few thoughts

1- When was the 68 built?   Guessing after Nov 67

2- Is the VIN stamped on the drivers side of the block just below the head and to the rearend side of the block?

Those two findings should help allot
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Norcal87

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 06:03:14 PM »
Car was built December 15 1967 . iam confused that it says C8DE which would ford falcon shouldn't it have a Z I there for mustang ?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 07:11:15 PM »
.... iam confused that it says C8DE which would ford falcon shouldn't it have a Z I there for mustang ?

No

They didn't design each part used on a Mustang initially or only for a Mustang. When parts could be used from other applications they were originally designed for (short answer here) they did. It would have cost Ford tens of millions of dollars or more to design and make parts for each car independently from all the models and makes they produced.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 07:13:42 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 07:45:40 PM »
Ford had many engineering design groups, one for each car line, and each had a letter assigned to it. That letter was used in the third position of the Ford part numbering system - C6AE. It signified which engineering group started the design and had design responsibility. Any group could borrow another's design, Mustangs used Falcon and full size Ford engines for many years. The first Mustang to have an engine with a "Z" in the part number was the Boss 302. This part crossover system extended into parts of engines, the distributor for 1965 289CID engine with a four barrel carburetor was from a Comet - C5GF-12127-A. Early carburetors were also borrowed, but the Mustang design group had to create their own as other cars had different requirements.
A few for reference: "A" = full size Ford; "B" = Fairlane; "G" = Comet; "D" = Falcon; "Z" = Mustang.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Norcal87

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 07:50:41 PM »
Thank you gonna check the Vin on the block after I get home from being on shift for 48 hours

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 10:57:46 PM »
The C8DE- casting number is a correct 200 ci. engine block for your Mustang. Your photo shows a date code of [7L24] which is November 24, 1967.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs