Author Topic: Did the 1966 Shelby Hertz Have a Tinted Windshield?  (Read 2307 times)

Offline GlennG

Did the 1966 Shelby Hertz Have a Tinted Windshield?
« on: May 18, 2018, 01:54:56 PM »
I am in the process of restoring my '66 GT350H, and need to replace my aftermarket tinted front windshield anyway due to rock damage and cracking.

My question is in regards to non-tinted vs. tinted windshields. A fellow '66GT350 friend tells me that '66 Hertz cars were not tinted.  My car has a tinted replacement front windshield (with no tinted band at the top), and a tinted rear windshield.  The window glass in the doors are not tinted.  I found a tinted Carlite windshield that appears to be from the 1970's that is in perfect condition that I would like to use as a replacement. Keep in mind that I am restoring my car to be great looking, but not concours. And yes, I am sure that I will be told that I should purchase an original Carlite, or purchase a concours replacement.  The $800+ cost for a concours replacement is financially not do-able right now.  But a friend of mine claims to have a clear 1966 Carlite that he will sell to me.

Your thoughts would be most helpful, considering my not-fully concours goals for restoration.  I have attached a photo of my replacement 1970's Carlite etching
'65 Mustang Coupe - Restoration after I get Hertz running
'66 Hertz -In process of mechanical and body resto; has not run since the 1970's- a real rat rod

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Did the 1966 Shelby Hertz Have a Tinted Windshield?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 03:08:59 PM »
The cars did not get the banded windshield
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline GlennG

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 03:31:37 PM »
Jeff, does that mean that the cars DID receive tinted windshields, front and rear?  And did the H models have both tinted windshields and also clear door windows?
'66 Hertz -In process of mechanical and body resto; has not run since the 1970's- a real rat rod

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 04:47:44 PM »
Jeff, does that mean that the cars DID receive tinted windshields, front and rear?  And did the H models have both tinted windshields and also clear door windows?

Sorry should have been clearer. The windshields of 66 Shelbys would have been clear glass - Not tinted in any way -  along with all the side glass also. Just standard glass - nothing special or optional.

Only tinted glass was the rear window for obvious purposes
Jeff Speegle

Offline GlennG

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 07:40:51 PM »
I am seeing various Mustang parts houses that sell repro tinted Mustang windshields with the 1966 Carlite logo.  But Jeff mentioned that '66 Shelbys did not have tinted front windshields, so this is not an option for me.  I have also read about some people using an etching kit to do their own logo.  Can someone suggest a parts source, and cost, for a repop correct 1966 Carlite windshield?  Also, can anyone explain the process for using a glass etching kit as an alternative?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 11:38:57 PM »
Remember or at least consider that if you do your own etching you may have the original company's (the company that made the replacement glass) markings on the glass also. Some of the reproduction glass companies remove those markings as a first step or have a special agreement with the company to leave it off.

Looking back using the search feature I found a thread where one member used one of the kits but guess you already read that one. It was from a few years back

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=9376.msg55833#msg55833

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=1651.msg8447#msg8447

There was a link in on of the earlier posts (found in the same search using the words "etching glass" ) found a post on one of the Cougar sites

https://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?49292-Carlite-Glass-Etching-Results-Question

I've seen allot of poor reproduction glass lately so don't know where to recommend since I've not purchased any so I'll leave that part of your request to someone who has
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 01:49:22 AM »
Remember or at least consider that if you do your own etching you may have the original company's (the company that made the replacement glass) markings on the glass also. Some of the reproduction glass companies remove those markings as a first step or have a special agreement with the company to leave it off.

Looking back using the search feature I found a thread where one member used one of the kits but guess you already read that one. It was from a few years back

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=9376.msg55833#msg55833

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=1651.msg8447#msg8447

There was a link in on of the earlier posts (found in the same search using the words "etching glass" ) found a post on one of the Cougar sites

https://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?49292-Carlite-Glass-Etching-Results-Question

I've seen allot of poor reproduction glass lately so don't know where to recommend since I've not purchased any so I'll leave that part of your request to someone who has
It is my understanding that most if not all of the glass comes with a trade mark or at least a country of origin. The various companies first polish off the generic glass trademark before applying the new Carlite glass etching. I believe one might start to see a diminished savings over all when you consider the steps and materials needed to first get ride of the generic trademark then etch a proper trademark DIY. Glass polishing tools and polishing compounds ,art work made into stencils procured and of course the learning curve to do it properly are a few things to consider.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 02:01:29 PM »
Pilkington glass made mine a few years ago...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 05:19:13 PM »
Just curious...does anyone know why Shelby had specified no tint on their windshields?
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 05:59:51 PM »
Just curious...does anyone know why Shelby had specified no tint on their windshields?

Might have been as simple as it was the base windshield and kept overall price down a small amount.  In the early cars is easy to see that Shelby didn't want to deal with options and many choices. Often if you ordered one color car you got offered (delivered instead) a different color car when they sent one.  Sort of take it or leave it in some cases depending on when in the production year it was, what inventory was and so on.

Don't believe I've ever seen any meeting minutes that stated anything about the subject. Might be just a carry over from 65 when all Shelby wanted was to build a race car and race cars don't have tinted window and stuff like that :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 02:30:04 AM »
Tinted glass was ether a special ordered option or automatically came with A/C. Regular production 65 and 66 GT350's did not come from the factory with A/C. Since no A/C then clear glass was standard .There was no need for Shelby to have anything specially specified.  The 4 special made A/C equipped 66 GT350 converts at the end of 66 production had to get a special variance from Ford to allow them to have AC installed and covered under warranty. 65 and 66 GT350's had few options . Tinted glass option was not available as were many other factory options .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby