Author Topic: Correct tire and rim points.  (Read 440 times)

Online 70Twister

Correct tire and rim points.
« on: April 18, 2017, 09:19:45 PM »
My question is how bad will I be hit on points if  dont go with correct rims and correct tire size? My 70 Twister Special is supposed to have 14" rims with caps and trim rings but I really like 15" magnum 500s with wide oval tires. Is this a unforgivable sin or will I be forgiven with a few points deducted?
Thanks Jeff
70Twister
351C Dearborn Build date 10/13/69

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Correct tire and rim points.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 10:37:00 PM »
Why not have two sets of tires/wheels?  One for MCA judging and the 15" magnums and tires for other judging where the tires/wheels aren't that big of a deal.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 11:33:43 PM »
My question is how bad will I be hit on points if  dont go with correct rims and correct tire size? My 70 Twister Special is supposed to have 14" rims with caps and trim rings but I really like 15" magnum 500s with wide oval tires. Is this a unforgivable sin or will I be forgiven with a few points deducted?
Thanks Jeff
Most people think as you do that the 15 inch wheels look better on a Twister.. I would do as already suggested and have a set of concours correct size wheels and tires for concours judging and another set to satisfy your own taste. That way there is no points deducted. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 11:50:59 PM »
Most people think as you do that the 15 inch wheels look better on a Twister.. I would do as already suggested and have a set of concours correct size wheels and tires for concours judging and another set to satisfy your own taste. That way there is no points deducted.

Since allot of MCA members in the 80's drove their cars to the shows it was not unusual for there to be a chase vehicle with a small trailer loaded with another full set of tires and rims for show.  Back before trailering was more popular
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Online 70Twister

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 10:45:42 PM »
How many points should I expect to be deducted if judged with incorrect rims and tires? Thanks!
70Twister

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 10:53:37 PM »
How many points should I expect to be deducted if judged with incorrect rims and tires? Thanks!

From a set of 2015 sheets I have 15 points total and that is if what ever you have installed is nice and clean. That's another 5 points.

So almost a whole "grade" Example would almost move a Gold to a Silver, Silver to Bronze or Bronze to no award
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Online 70Twister

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 11:32:01 PM »
Thanks!! Guess I have to have two sets of rims and tires!  :-\
70Twister

Offline priceless

• Silver Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 04:33:59 PM »
Surprised nobody ask what class you intend to show your Mustang in. Concours Trailered or Concours Driven? With the exception of the wheels, you can run any tire you want in Concours Driven as long as all 5 match.  I ran BFG's on our 69 Mach 1 when I was showing in Concours Driven with NO points deduction.