Author Topic: Fastback Interior Panel Adjustment?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline 3 Pedals

Fastback Interior Panel Adjustment?
« on: May 22, 2017, 05:05:23 PM »
I am working on a 1967 fastback, San Jose build date late Jan of 1967. It has the fold-down rear seat. The large interior quarter panels have the opening which is covered by the metal latch cover. I'm running into a problem when putting the seat in the upright position that the metal latch covers stick out too far and catch the seat. Without the latch covers, the seat still scrapes the panels on both sides but I can get it into the upright position. I don't see a way to adjust these large quarter panels "side-to-side" so there is more room for the seat to clear the metal latch covers. Please let me know if there is a way to adjust? Could I have incorrect interior quarter panels?! Any other things I could check or try? Thanks in advance.

Offline RocketScientist

Re: Fastback Interior Panel Adjustment?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 09:58:59 PM »
I remember there being 'early' quarter panels that didn't use the metal plates but that shouldn't be your problem unless the profile in that area is different. Is it the fold-down seat that's the problem and the trim sticking out further than it should?

Offline 3 Pedals

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 01:10:45 AM »
I will check the chrome strips on the fold down to make sure they are snug to the seat panel.

The part numbers on the fiberglass panels are C7ZB-6331070-AW. The assembly numbe is C7ZB-6331486-AW on the passenger side and C7ZB-6331071- RW and assembly number C7ZB-6331487-RW on the driver side.
     I read somewhere there is a difference between '67 and '68 panels but can't find that information again so I'm not certain if I have the correct panels.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 10:30:01 PM »
There are also very early and later versions of the 67s

Starting with the basics. Has the car been restored and any of the related panels changed/replaced. Its not unusual (unfortunately) for shops to get brackets and such a little off which can create issues as you describe

Just trying to eliminate possibilities

Side to side at the top can be achieved by modifying the sheet metal brackets that the panels attach too as long as the latch bracket isn't touching the fiberglass lower interior quarter panel
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 05:05:06 AM »
A quick search showed that the numbers checkout for 67 panels. I suspect the AW and RW relater to color and I was wondering if you have different colored panels (just out interest). Jeff's idea on looking at the brackets are a good start - they could be upside-down or on the wrong side and that is causing clearance problems.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 05:51:19 PM »
A quick search showed that the numbers checkout for 67 panels. I suspect the AW and RW relater to color and I was wondering if you have different colored panels (just out interest).

The parts were cast all the same color so don't think the engineering numbers reflected the color they would later be painted. Just my opinion at this point as I don't one of each color (would be a bunch of them)  to compare numbers of at this moment
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline preaction

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 06:22:45 PM »
If you Google 67 fold down rear seat ID a guy by the name of Sam Griffith did a very nice web page of all of the parts and many pics.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn