Author Topic: Hood springs for my Hertz car  (Read 1762 times)

Offline 6S1284

Hood springs for my Hertz car
« on: June 23, 2017, 02:53:58 PM »
I bought shelby lighter springs for my fiberglass/steel frame hood and it will not stay open.
Any suggestions from this esteemed group on what to do next?

BTW,  almost done!

Thanks

Dave

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Hood springs for my Hertz car
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 03:16:46 PM »
I bought shelby lighter springs for my fiberglass/steel frame hood and it will not stay open.
Any suggestions from this esteemed group on what to do next?

BTW,  almost done!

Thanks

Dave
Many factory 66 GT350's had one regular Mustang spring and the other side the lighter spring. Side didn't seem to matter. Try that.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 6S1284

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 04:48:45 PM »
Many factory 66 GT350's had one regular Mustang spring and the other side the lighter spring. Side didn't seem to matter. Try that.

Hi Bob -

It works but the hood sits a bit higher on the side with the "regular" spring.  Will this eventually damage the hood?

Thanks

Dave

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 06:46:28 PM »
Hi Bob -

It works but the hood sits a bit higher on the side with the "regular" spring.  Will this eventually damage the hood?

Thanks

Dave
It should not on a steel innerstructure hood. The steel gives it extra strength in that area.  Remember this was common on many factory 66 GT350's with no significant reports of problems over the years.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 07:11:20 PM »
It should not on a steel innerstructure hood. The steel gives it extra strength in that area.  Remember this was common on many factory 66 GT350's with no significant reports of problems over the years.

+1
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)