Author Topic: Different OEM cross-members?  (Read 911 times)

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

Different OEM cross-members?
« on: June 25, 2017, 01:22:14 PM »
In my boxes of parts I've come across two different front cross-member supports. Notice in the attached pictures that one of them has two large (thick) washers tack welded to the supports ends where the attaching bolts would pass through.  I don't know if this was factory, or maybe performed for unknown reasons by a previous owner.  I'm in the process re-assembling at 1965 K code fastback (San Jose/2.16.1965) that's been apart for several years and at this point I'm unsure which of these cross-members is correct for my project (though I suspect it's the cross-member without the large washers).  Any thoughts?  Thank you, Ron

Offline jwc66k

Re: Different OEM cross-members?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 01:26:55 PM »
For judging purposes, go with the "stock" piece. The one with the washers would be accepted if accompanied with documentation.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 01:39:37 PM »
In my boxes of parts I've come across two different front cross-member supports. Notice in the attached pictures that one of them has two large (thick) washers tack welded to the supports ends where the attaching bolts would pass through.  I don't know if this was factory, or maybe performed for unknown reasons by a previous owner.  I'm in the process re-assembling at 1965 K code fastback (San Jose/2.16.1965) that's been apart for several years and at this point I'm unsure which of these cross-members is correct for my project (though I suspect it's the cross-member without the large washers).  Any thoughts?  Thank you, Ron
Ron, go with the stock cross member (no washers) are my thoughts .  That is if you want factory look.  The other cross member is a owner modified item IMO. I am unaware of any benefits that the added spacers would give even if you didn't want a stock look. I am however curious of what the spacers would could have been for. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 01:43:07 PM »
my 2cents on  the spacers..........someone did not have the proper bolts for this application. have seen similar 'rigged' setups.
5F09C331248

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 02:00:08 PM »
I thought maybe the PO who did this had a larger (deeper) oil pan or a different motor he wanted to install and need the extra clearance.  These washers might have served as spacers for that additional 1/4" (+/-) that he needed.  Ron

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 02:36:21 PM »
Ah, the "Shelby" shock tower mod on top applied to the "Shelby" oil pan mod on the bottom.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 03:05:54 PM »
Ah, the "Shelby" shock tower mod on top applied to the "Shelby" oil pan mod on the bottom.
Jim
;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 03:08:43 PM »
Have seen this done before for a creative solution for header or oil pan clearance. Lot neater finished look on a modified car that other options
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)