Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Processes, Products & Techniques

Glass scratches

(1/2) > >>

1969 Cale II:
Anybody ever successfully remove scratches from side glass? Midsize car side glass is tough to find NOS. 1969 Cyclone is the car but glass is glass

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: 1969 Cale II on June 25, 2017, 09:47:35 PM ---Anybody ever successfully remove scratches from side glass? Midsize car side glass is tough to find NOS. 1969 Cyclone is the car but glass is glass

--- End quote ---
The problem many times is that to get some deep scratches out of the glass is that it has to be polished enough that although the scratches are removed you have distortion in the glass on account of the varying thickness as a result of the polishing process. The distortion looks just as bad as scratches in its own way and sometimes worse IMO. The good news is that some light scratches can be taken out most of the time without distortion if shallow enough that they will not catch a finger nail. If it will catch a nail it is too deep and probably the glass will be distorted if you can even polish the scratch out. 

jwc66k:
Eastwood has a "scratch remover kit". I used it to remove wiper scratches until I got a new windshield. Like Bob says, deep scratches are difficult
Jim

J_Speegle:
Might want to call West Coast Cougars and ask them

Worth a try

1969 Cale II:
Thanks Guys, my thought was is if you don't see the scratch you might not see the waviness. Just like body work. Wish you could fill and block sand scratches. Midsize Fords don't have side repro glass and NOS is non existant.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version