Author Topic: '66 289 A code distributor vacuum tube with smog system  (Read 986 times)

Offline socalgt

'66 289 A code distributor vacuum tube with smog system
« on: June 25, 2017, 10:00:34 PM »
With the coil being relocated on the intake manifold, does a car with the smog system require a different vacuum advance tube in order to attach to the 4100 carb vacuum connection.  I've been looking at photos, but it's hard to tell.

Thanks...

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: '66 289 A code distributor vacuum tube with smog system
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 10:43:29 PM »
Appears to be the same tube with the tall loop for both thermactor and non-thermactor. Source for the thermactor vacuum source nor the emission hose routing does not involve it or its vacuum attachment point at the rear of the intake

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 11:53:18 PM »
At one time there was a modification in the distributor vacuum for 1966 models in California for smog. It was some type of vacuum bleeder or something like that. I've still got one somewhere. When the state no longer required smog tests on 73 and older car, all that junk went away. That may be what you have.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 12:26:20 AM »
At one time there was a modification in the distributor vacuum for 1966 models in California for smog. It was some type of vacuum bleeder or something like that. I've still got one somewhere. When the state no longer required smog tests on 73 and older car, all that junk went away. That may be what you have.
Jim

There were many systems retrofitted to cars required (at one point or another) by the state (CA) one such that relates to the solid dist advance line was the KarKit. About $15, included two vacuum plugs and a decal. You cut the steel line, cap (well you were suppose to) each end and slap the sticker on the face of the speedo.

Last car I had to have smogged I had to put one on, It was a 67 GT350 and had to install a dist with vacuum advance so that I could plug it off.  Guess I might do the same today if ever caught by a sniffer or road side test station. Last time I saw one of those was about 6 months ago and they travel with a simple dyno on a trailer they tow

Sorry for getting off thread a bit :(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)