Author Topic: Rear End Oil Slinger - 66  (Read 1469 times)

Offline rrenz

Rear End Oil Slinger - 66
« on: June 26, 2017, 04:05:52 PM »
Had a pinion bearing go bad on me this past weekend on the way back from a show. 8 inch removable carrier rear end. I've got everything apart and ready for reassembly. While going through the shop manual they list a oil slinger that is installed in front of the forward bearing behind the yoke. I did not have one when i took it apart. Ive now also seen where others have not found this in their rear ends either. Whats the deal?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 08:57:44 PM by J_Speegle »
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 66 Rear End Oil Slinger
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 08:57:18 PM »
Guess your referring to this

................ Ive now also seen where others have not found this in their rear ends either. Whats the deal?

Not sure what you mean by "seen where others have not found this in their rear ends either"??   These are 50 year old cars and others missing the same part doesn't always equate to the way they were originally built ;)

Sure there are plenty of examples where a rebuilder or someone replacing the front seal thought "whats this for ......we don't need it" when it came time to put it all back together
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 08:59:56 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rrenz

Re: Rear End Oil Slinger - 66
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 09:53:13 PM »
This one right...here.
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 12:19:35 AM »
FYI typically bare steel.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 01:21:16 AM »
This one right...here.

Thanks for clarifying the exact part your referring to. Appears to do the same job as the oil slinger on the crankshaft of the engine.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 06:36:54 PM »
 author=rrenz This one right...here.

I have no idea what a ' slinger '  would be doing there.  Can't see that it is doing anything on that side of the bearing.  Does provide a seat for the bearing but not much else.  FWIW the 69 pinion does not have a ' slinger ' in that position.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 06:41:18 PM »
author=rrenz This one right...here.

I have no idea what a ' slinger '  would be doing there.  Can't see that it is doing anything on that side of the bearing.  .............

Think it would work from keeping the oil from creeping up the shaft and away from the seal or overloading it as the shaft spins much like the one on the crankshaft that keeps the oil from creeping up on the front crank seal 

Just my spin on the possible reason for the inclusion by the engineers   ::)

Looking at the drawings in the last version of the MPC that was printed the slinger is shown for all versions with the removable center sections (3rd members) not on 6 cylinder rear ends but its dropped from the drawing in the one labled for 1968-72 Mustangs as well as a bunch of other applciations

68 version of the MPC shows that the slinger C3OZ--=4670-A was used on 62-67 for 8" rearends  9" rearends used a different part

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 06:53:14 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 01:47:00 AM »
This is what I thought the question was about. This particular one was used only on "Equa Lock" rear ends. It was "designed out" in the later "Traction Lock" rear end.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.