Author Topic: "Running Pony" delete?  (Read 2378 times)

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

"Running Pony" delete?
« on: July 07, 2017, 11:43:26 AM »
The '65 K-code fastback (San Jose/2.16.1965)  that I'm gradually re-assembling after 20 years apart and in boxes in my garage does not have the Running Pony emblem on either of the front fenders and there is no indication on the backside of the fenders that these pieces were ever present on the car. What it does have is pin stripping along the sides and on the hood that appears to be original to the car.  At first I thought the Pony emblems pieces might have been removed by a PO, but now I'm not so sure that it didn't come off the assembly line without these pieces.  Was there a "delete" option for these Running Pony pieces, maybe one that substituted the pin stripping for them when the delete option was selected?  Thanks, Ron...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 12:08:07 PM by MustangAndFairlane1867 »

Offline jwc66k

Re: "Running Pony" delete?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 12:04:40 PM »
A 2+2 Mustang used a different emblem from a hardtop or convertible (a "GT" was different yet). If you do not have a set of Osborn Assembly Manuals for your car I strongly recommend you get a set. You will also need the 64 1/2-65 Chassis and 64 1/2-65 Weld to complete your set.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline sgl66

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 12:16:24 PM »
Do the fenders have date codes stamped in them that proceed the build date by 1-2 months? Also does the drivers side have the crush triangles or not? 65 should not have them from factory. Replacement fenders had no holes for emblems
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 01:26:52 PM »
Fender Date stamps:  Driver side: 1  22  03                 

Pass. side:  1  29  03

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 02:51:47 PM »
Fender Date stamps:  ......................

Raise triangle on the drivers side fender?  Either way pattern appears to suggest they may have been replaced

And no I'm unaware of an option on the ordering form that would allow deleting this feature. As far as the pinstripe that is aftermarket by your earlier descriptions so considering it just muddies the waters IMHO.   

Guess we could look closely at the picture of the fenders being off loaded at San Jose or Pittsburg CA to see if we can see the holes in that location on those fenders though I  cant recall  off hand if the plants were supplied with three different styles of fenders (V8 verses 6 cylinder, GT verses non GT ...)  or not at the moment

Fenders might be some really early service replacement parts
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 02:58:09 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 03:31:55 PM »
Sorry, but I made a mistake in typing the date stamps on my two fenders.  I typed an 0 when I should have typed a D.  Here are the correct date numbers and my interpretation of what they indicate:

Driver fender:  1  22  D3 = January 22 third shift.
Pass. fender:  1  29  D3= January 29 third shift

No "triangle" on either fender. 

Based on these date stamps, is it safe to assume that these are original fenders to my San Jose car with a scheduled build date of February 16, 1965?  Seems likely to me based on the month and day, but can't be sure since there isn't any way to confirm the year.  Or am I missing something?  The remaining mystery is why neither fender has the punched holes for mounting the "Running horse" emblems.  But up front, both fenders have the three punched holes for the HiPo/289 badging.  I have no problem drilling the holes needed to mount the Running Horse emblems if they were on there from the factory, though I'm not sure of the best procedure to make a template to make sure they are perfectly aligned, etc. Thanks, Ron... 

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 04:19:58 PM »
Are the holes there for the word Mustang 2+2? Maybe the car was destined to go to Shelby but changed?
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 06:40:07 PM »
Based on these date stamps, is it safe to assume that these are original fenders to my San Jose car with a scheduled build date of February 16, 1965?

No would not say it's "safe to assume" IMHO  given the dates you have provided and the possibilities since we only have a projected/guessed upon date from the door tag

Are the holes there for the word Mustang 2+2? Maybe the car was destined to go to Shelby but changed?

A number of other things not mentioned as clues would be different also and installed well before the fenders so I would guess that's not a possibility based on the facts so far
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 06:44:28 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 07:23:30 PM »
Fenders are date stamped January and car was scheduled for assembly in February.  Sounds better than the other way around, no?  Lol.  Thanks, Ron...

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 07:31:15 PM »
Fenders are date stamped January and car was scheduled for assembly in February.  Sounds better than the other way around, no?  Lol.  Thanks, Ron...

Yes but that was not the question you asked.  :)

Based on what we have right now the car could have been built before the passenger fender was stamps.   Because of that it does not fit my "safe to assume " description. The question you asked

BTW the "O" in your date coding is likely a "D" for the Dearborn stamping plant.  A review of sheet metal date practices is shown in the article about date coding in the sites Library  ;)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 07:34:36 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 08:20:29 PM »
Pictures would be nice.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 08:45:30 PM »
Hi Jeff--I caught my embarrassing typos and corrected them.  Scroll up a little and you'll see my post plus some additional info I added.

Hi Jim--Let me know what you would like to see and I'll try to get some pictures posted.

Thanks, guys.  Ron...

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 11:51:21 PM »
I'd lean towards the fenders being original with the dates mentioned.

As for the emblems missing, I would suggest that a previous owner had them removed and holes filled/welded before a re-paint.  Only way to know for sure would be to strip the fenders to bare metal.  It would not be typical at all for a car to be delivered without them.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 11:54:20 PM »
Hi Jeff--I caught my embarrassing typos and corrected them.  Scroll up a little and you'll see my post plus some additional info I added.

Fenders are most likely originals since the dates are close to other cars built the same time and place - just can't be certain :)

As far as I know there was no pinstripe option that included anything to do with the hood so would believe that was added after delivery. Its not uncommon for high perforance cars to be altered earlier in their life when compared to other more standard cars since they were often purchased by car guys not interested in keeping them stock. Can't recall many cars my family ordered over the years that we're not in the paint, exhaust, wheel and tire shops (or a combination of them all) within the first week of ownership   I know I've done the same for the last 8 car's I've purchased also
Jeff Speegle

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 11:50:00 AM »
"I'd lean towards the fenders being original with the dates mentioned.

As for the emblems missing, I would suggest that a previous owner had them removed and holes filled/welded before a re-paint.  Only way to know for sure would be to strip the fenders to bare metal.  It would not be typical at all for a car to be delivered without them."

Thanks, Charles.  I have the fenders off the car and next week I'm going to do some gentle sanding on the inside of the fender to see if I can find signs that the holes for the "2 + 2" and Running horse emblems have been filled by a PO.  Like you, I can't think of any other reason why they aren't visible.  Hope they are there so I can carefully remove the bondo (hope it's bondo!) and remount the emblems.  If the holes have been welded closed or are not visible, not sure what my next step will be.  Probably try to make a template from the pins on the back of the emblems, transfer everything to the fenders and see if I can drill new holes.  Ron...