Author Topic: 1966 289 engine oil dipstick tube with thermactor  (Read 2630 times)

Offline socalgt

1966 289 engine oil dipstick tube with thermactor
« on: July 23, 2017, 11:51:58 AM »
Does the engine oil dipstick tube mount any differently to the engine with the thermactor system?

Offline lancelot66

Re: 1966 289 engine oil dipstick tube with thermactor
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 12:33:25 PM »
Nope, same hole bolted up to the block all by itself. Since the coil is located on top of the intake, the same hole is not used for both the coil bracket and dipstick. Just the dipstick. Sorry I don't have a specific photo to post.
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 04:56:46 PM »
A question remains on a 66 smog engine, was the retaining bolt painted or not? It would have been initially clear zinc (378604-S8) as installed, but when?
A similar question about 65 289 dip stick tubes, the coil and its bracket were installed after paint. Was the painted bolt removed and reinstalled with the coil? Would Ford change assembly line practices for 66 smog vs. 66 non-smog dip sticks?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 06:55:13 PM »
Those are some good questions Jim. I left mine unpainted but I have no firm reasoning behind doing this. My "guess" and what probably makes the most sense is that with smog, it got painted with the rest of the motor, timing chain cover, water pump, etc. Without, because of the coil and bracket, not painted because it was added later after engine paint. Does anyone know I'm now wondering?
VR/
-Lance

Many Original Options

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 07:26:07 PM »
Those are some good questions Jim. I left mine unpainted but I have no firm reasoning behind doing this. My "guess" and what probably makes the most sense is that with smog, it got painted with the rest of the motor, timing chain cover, water pump, etc. Without, because of the coil and bracket, not painted because it was added later after engine paint. Does anyone know I'm now wondering?
I cant say to how the smog equipped were done but a comment was made about non smog cars.  I have many observations on non smog survivor type hipo engines. All three plants had SB from Cleveland engine plant so they would logically be consistent on base engine items like being discussed. I have observed (no reason to think non hipo would be any different) The dipstick tube was painted . The dip stick was typically painted but seen some that were not(maybe had been replaced?). Coil bracket was more typically painted then not on 65-early 67.  67 on up was just reversed in that the coil bracket was more typically unpainted then painted.  Many vintage engine shots (GT350's  were often photographed and written about in magazines of the day) seem to confirm what I have observed. Just what I have seen others may think differently.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 08:57:13 PM »
Those are some good questions Jim. I left mine unpainted but I have no firm reasoning behind doing this. My "guess" and what probably makes the most sense is that with smog, it got painted with the rest of the motor, timing chain cover, water pump, etc.

Dip stick tube, dipstick and attaching bolt were painted engine color like the Thermactor mount
For the dipstick tube, orientation and location of the finished product

Not an eay thing to get pictures with so much going on in the area

Without, because of the coil and bracket, not painted because it was added later after engine paint. Does anyone know I'm now wondering?

Coil and bracket were not painted (on things we deal with here) engine color for any of the classic period. I'm about 50/50 on painted verses unpainted (black) coli brackets for 65-67 small block applications - slightly less than half I would report
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 09:38:47 AM »
Thank you Jeff. Great to confirm this. I had remembered an older post where you had stated the smog pump bracket got engine color so I have that correct. So now, time  to find my long handled paint brush and touch up that dipstick bolt.
VR/
-Lance

Many Original Options