Author Topic: Trunk Lid of Coupe or Convertible: FACE EDGE, how much of a curve?  (Read 816 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
I am working on my Coupe's Trunk Lid, cleaning out internal rust and noticed a CURVE inward along the face edge (looking straight across trailing edge or straight down)

I am thinking this is a NORMAL thing to see but: a.) Is it actually supposed to be flat and mine is actually pushed in? -or- b.) How much curve should you expect to find if you placed a straight edge centered where a molding might be found on an Exterior Decor optioned car (if checked across the lowest edge of the lid)?
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

Re: Trunk Lid of Coupe or Convertible: FACE EDGE, how much of a curve?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 09:34:58 AM »
I used a metal yard stick laid just above the molding with it touching the paint on each end there was a 1/8 inward bow.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 10:21:22 AM »
I used a metal yard stick laid just above the molding with it touching the paint on each end there was a 1/8 inward bow.

Thanks Marty. I interpret this to mean end-to-end of the deck lid, along the flat of the trunk lid above the body line where a molding may be mounted. It sounds like mine may have too much of a bow

_________    M   U   S   T   A   N   G    __________
------------->[_o___o__  )____________________(   __o___o_]
                                  )_o____o____o____o____o_(
                   ^                                                                        ^

I have about 3/16" inwards bow. I was looking at other images I took of your car in Columbus a few years ago, yours and the red Convertible next to it, both with the trunks open and it looked like a bit of a bow but the shots were not at an angle for this purpose so I didn't want to just "straighten" mine unless it was supposed to be.

Right now the lid is dipped in rust dissolver working at this time to clean internal rust beneath the structure. I've already cleaned out the face-edge at the lower pinch weld. Both the drains in the deck lid were clogged with body sealant and apparently water accumulates in that pinch weld behind the molding when this happens. It was worse than it looked from the outside since there wasn't even any blister in the outside paint, only a small blister along the sealer edge but when I started removing the paint, it just kept showing up worse & worse! Once I realized how much worse it really was, I eventually, (very hesitantly), I opened up the pinch weld and cleaned all of the rust that way. What a pain is the arse! All welded back now and low finally moving into the body work on the deck lid next. LAST body panel to be stripped and prepped before final body work and paint.

It sure would be nice to afford PAYING somebody for this kind of work! I enjoy most of the process but this BODY WORK involving hidden rust issues is no fun at all! I don't know how those who have a full-on Rust-Tang do it! Mine wasn't anything near as bad as many projects I have seen people do and I absolutely abhor some of what I am going through!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 10:24:29 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Deuce

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 11:03:30 AM »

I have about 3/16" inwards bow.

Same here - a definite bow, 3/16" or more from a straight edge placed across the trailing edge of the deck lid.  (Not precise, more eyeball.)  Looks consistent with the bow in original rear bumper.   
Deuce
1967 C-code Hardtop Coupe, C-4, AC, PS, T/E; SJ built Nov 30 1966, DSO 71___Unrestored
2008 Premium GT Coupe, 5-speed, rear spoiler delete, HID headlamps, well-optioned, Flat Rock built Oct 23 2007, RC 72

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 04:00:05 PM »
Thanks Marty. I interpret this to mean end-to-end of the deck lid, along the flat of the trunk lid above the body line where a molding may be mounted. It sounds like mine may have too much of a bow

_________    M   U   S   T   A   N   G    __________
------------->[_o___o__  )____________________(   __o___o_]
                                  )_o____o____o____o____o_(
                   ^
Yes that is where I measured. I would not worry about 1/16 either way. I am pretty sure Ford did not.

Sadly a lot of restorations do not address the hidden rust and they pay a steep price in 4 or 5 years.
Marty                                                                       ^

I have about 3/16" inwards bow. I was looking at other images I took of your car in Columbus a few years ago, yours and the red Convertible next to it, both with the trunks open and it looked like a bit of a bow but the shots were not at an angle for this purpose so I didn't want to just "straighten" mine unless it was supposed to be.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 09:43:53 AM »
I checked another lid I got with some parts yesterday and it was the same 1/8 -3/16.