Author Topic: 68-70 FE VIN Stamp Related Thread  (Read 1885 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
68-70 FE VIN Stamp Related Thread
« on: March 20, 2018, 05:55:47 PM »
Since we seem to have a somewhat repetiative question about "matching numbers" and VIN stampings on drivetrain thought I would make a quick thread showing some of the typical and less typical locations.

Remember that these were applied to the engines and transmissions once assembled together at a location close to the installation point into the bodies as they traveled down the second half of the assembly line.

How much of the VIN got included in the hand stamping depended on the plant, year and worker. Most appear to be hand stamped individually rather than all the dies placed into a gang stamp and applied all at once as done at other plants or on the unibody.  As you can see all of these locations are fairly close together and could be done quickly by one worker.

Hope this is useful to members

General locations identified by colored arrows. Did leave out the automatic transmission since I could only show one trans attached

On the rear of the intake. Only seen this so far on a few 68 NJ cars

Back of the drivers side head. Only seen this so far on 68 and 69 NJ built cars plus one or two Dearborn cars in 69 If your looking also check the passenger side head at the front since heads can be reinstalled on the opposite time during a rebuilding of the engine

Back of the engine block on the drivers side

Top edge of the mounting flange of the manual transmission

Top surface of the main transmission body on a pad provided for the purpose between the forward and rearward strength ribbing

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
Re: 68-70 FE VIN Stamp Related Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 09:26:09 PM »
My understanding is the motor and trans were required to be stamped by Federal law. The stampings were done by hand and often very lightly stamped.

Ford interpret “motor” to be either, block head or intake manifold. I have seen examples of all three.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 09:34:21 PM »
My understanding is the motor and trans were required to be stamped by Federal law. The stampings were done by hand and often very lightly stamped.

+1 Believe it was related to a new focus on auto thief prevention and prosecution effort Federally
Jeff Speegle

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 05:56:27 PM »
Jeff just to add to your great post the intake stamped NJ cars were only aluminum manifold cars (GT 500 PI) Also the transmission stamp for 4 speed can be either side
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 09:35:15 PM »
Jeff just to add to your great post the intake stamped NJ cars were only aluminum manifold cars (GT 500 PI) Also the transmission stamp for 4 speed can be either side

Didn't mean to suggest that the VIN was only stamped to the passenger end of the top flange during these years - so thanks for the heads up for others viewing this thread
Jeff Speegle

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 08:22:44 AM »
I've only seen it stamped on the rear of the driver side cylinder head for '68 Dearborn FE's. This is my '68 1/2 R code:

« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 07:51:12 AM by RoyceP »
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 08:24:06 AM »
Here it is on my blue 427 GT-E - the heads got swapped during a rebuild so it is on the front RH.

Offline specialed

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 12:07:18 PM »
royce on u #5 post i think u meant (rear if the drivers side) not passenger side.   Anybody note the size of the stamped height of the #s & letters between all the different plants being shorter  or smaller on some  or are they always the same height?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 02:33:47 PM »
royce on u #5 post i think u meant (rear if the drivers side) not passenger side.   Anybody note the size of the stamped height of the #s & letters between all the different plants being shorter  or smaller on some  or are they always the same height?

Haven't done a survey or side by side but do recall a difference between some plants - just not sure if it is a 68 only thing for one plant or for multiple years
Jeff Speegle

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 07:51:57 AM »
Nice catch Ed - I changed my post to correct the mistake.