Author Topic: Non-Red Oxide Undercarriage Discussion - Sept/Oct 69 NJ  (Read 3596 times)

Offline 70BlackMach1

Re: Non-Red Oxide Undercarriage Discussion - Sept/Oct 69 NJ
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 09:53:52 PM »
Yes, you knew the answer.  The E brake anchor has been stripped and is back on the car.

I really appreciate your time and your thoughts on this matter.

Based on your answer and experience, I would like to make the car as close as possible (within budget and ability) to how it rolled off the assembly line.  I would rather take what evidence you and I have come up with and explain "why" than to go with what is expected.  As you said, sometimes I might lose points.  But as I drive it, I will know I did my best to duplicate what I saw.

Thank you again for all your help and insight.

Barry

Offline jim69mach1

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2017, 04:42:05 PM »
Im currently restoring my 69 Mach 1 oct 68 built NJ, 89,000 documented miles,driven in Florida it’s entire life. I have viewed every square inch of the car now that I have full access to the body. The only place I see red oxide is on the backside of the front fenders. Every where else I see a light gray color. The last image shows a very good section of slop gray where the primer was applied in the rear axle area and was runnning down and dripping. I feel strongly based on visual facts this car used gray primer. Hope this helps.
Jim
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 04:59:56 PM by jim69mach1 »
1969 Mach 1 , 390, 4 SPD. Silver Jade, White Interior
VIN #9TO2S1XXXXX, Metuchen Built 10/24/68

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2017, 07:53:44 PM »
...............shows a very good section of slop gray where the primer was applied in the rear axle area and was runnning down and dripping. I feel strongly based on visual facts this car used gray primer. Hope this helps.

Might want to run an oil or wet it after your cleaned an area for a better look or even some polish to cut through the top layer that has been exposed to the elements.  Since the front firewall surface was applied at a different time you might want to clean and compare the two surfaces.  There can be allot of variance in the colors though not as much as the following years depending on what cars were painted in the period before and added to the base epoxy primer sealer

Thanks for sharing
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jim69mach1

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2017, 11:14:11 PM »
Ok I’ll give that a try!
Merry Christmas!
Jim

Offline jim69mach1

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2017, 09:54:54 PM »
Found another area with gray primer behind the rear  lower quarter panel extension area.
I’m totally convinced now this mustang received gray primer.

Jim
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 10:00:03 PM by jim69mach1 »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2017, 10:53:57 PM »
Found another area with gray primer behind the rear  lower quarter panel extension area.

Jim

Remember that application at that location is not related to the color under the car so would not jump to the conclusion that they have anything to do with one another.

Under the car (firewall rearward) was applied with premounted jets from below while the body (sides and top) were sprayed by hand. First red oxide then a light gray primer surfacer as you have found and has been mentioned in dozens of other threads. Something that was done at all plants. You should also find it along the bottom edge of the taillight panel where the valance was attached after this primer application

Just an example of many

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=15492.msg96861#msg96861

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=3017.msg16022#msg16022

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11995.msg72713#msg72713 Reply #1

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2017, 11:00:37 PM »

Jim
Yes not a big surprise. Gray primer was used on the body panels before color was applied. The primer on the body panels portions is not relevant necessarily to what was used on the bottom side of the floor however. You may find supporting evidence for a light gray color (not primer)on the bottom side  but the gray primer used on body panels before color painting is not it IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jim69mach1

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2017, 04:38:49 PM »
This is exactly the reason why I always visit this website. Excellent feedback and knowledge of these cars from Jeff and bob as always. That picture of the red fastback is a great example of what I’m seeing in my fastback. Interesting to know the valance and quarter extensions were painted on the cars. Makes sense how the area under the valance looks the way it does. Very similar to the read fastback pic you posted.

My rear taillight valance is badly rusted and dented , sadly it must be replaced.

Thanks!
Jim
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 04:46:04 PM by jim69mach1 »