Author Topic: Elite Marti report question - "Trim Variation" in 69  (Read 6290 times)

Offline wsu0702

Elite Marti report question - "Trim Variation" in 69
« on: July 22, 2017, 08:53:08 PM »
So I recently received my elite Marti Report for my 69 mustang and I surprised to see some extra info that was not in my previous deluxe report.  Under the "Your vehicle was equipped with..." section there is a line item that says "Trim Variation".  What does this mean.  Does it have something to do with the fact that my interior trim code is 3AA with the extra A denoting the change from teak to walnut woodgrain trim?  I asked on some of the Facebook groups that I belong to but no one seems to know for sure. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 05:35:36 AM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Elite Marti report question - "Trim Variation" in 69
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 05:35:16 AM »
Looking at other Marti reports for cars with the "3AA' interiors there is no mention of a "Trim Variation"

You didn't include when or where the car was built so its not easy to compare cars built around the same time and plant.

There are at least two prior discussions on the trim variation but guess you have already read them and the links provided
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline wsu0702

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 01:52:57 PM »
San Jose end of April 1969.  Yes I did search this forum and saw some older posts discussing the Trim Variation on Marti reports but I did not see where it was positively identified (only guesses). I was just wondering if it had finally been figured out (hence my post).  I just emailed Kevin Marti hopefully he can provide the answer. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 09:07:25 PM »
..........I just emailed Kevin Marti hopefully he can provide the answer.

Think that is a great idea since its hos product and words. Might want to ask if the same term is used to describe different things (more generic) or just your specific application - to help others.

Looked through the couple of hundred 69 Marti reports I have copies of and could not find that note on any of the ones I have so don't have any to offer for comparison purposes.
Jeff Speegle

Offline 70b302cat

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 10:45:31 PM »
From the M-E-L mpc that I have under Soft Trim.

Parts for 3 digit trim codes ending with an alphabet (e. g. 1BA) are listed with parts cataloged by trim code.

Parts for 3 digit trim codes ending with a numeral (e. g. 1B1) normally are not cataloged.  Refer to the listing of Trim codes to determine which parts are available through service.  For parts which are not available for service contact your Service Representative who will process in accordance with General ICC Bulletin 7526.

From Kevin Marti's "The Mustang and Cougar Tagbook" footnote 1 on 3AA found on page 59

"Dark woodgrain pattern on door panel"

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 12:51:30 AM »
.............From Kevin Marti's "The Mustang and Cougar Tagbook" footnote 1 on 3AA found on page 59

"Dark woodgrain pattern on door panel"

Yes think the interior code doesn't provide or is related to the "trim variation" note on the Marti report. As mentioned have other examples with the same interior code and others with the two and three digit codes without the notation

Typically (the purpose of the MPC) soft trim was not serviced past two or three years it seems
Jeff Speegle

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 01:05:13 PM »
I was looking at the Marti Report on a buddy's 69 Mach 1 428CJ car on Saturday and also noted that the first option line stated 'Trim Variation'. I'm interested to hear Marti's response.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 02:48:45 PM »
I was looking at the Marti Report on a buddy's 69 Mach 1 428CJ car on Saturday and also noted that the first option line stated 'Trim Variation'. I'm interested to hear Marti's response.

Anything unusual on that example that might provide a clue?
Jeff Speegle

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 06:21:50 PM »
If we are taking a poll, I am going with the OP's original theory that it is the change from light to dark walnut.  I am sure I have read this somewhere before and I thought it was on the CJ Forum but I can only find reference to a '68.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 07:22:43 PM »
If we are taking a poll, I am going with the OP's original theory that it is the change from light to dark walnut.  I am sure I have read this somewhere before and I thought it was on the CJ Forum but I can only find reference to a '68.

Agree that connects nicely with the 3AA but the issue I have with that being the reason for the "trim variation"  doesn't seem to work with other Marti reports with that same code, later built cars and the 3AA (and other three digit examples)  but without that note.   Unless this is something new Kevin is adding now (or did at one point) and didn't on other cars/examples

Some examples. Notice no comment of "Trim Variation"   have plenty more ;)

Jeff Speegle

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 09:23:41 PM »
Given that his car is a Mach 1, is it something like different color seat stripe, or body stripes delete or body stripes color different from what's standard based on the exterior color?
Just my W.A.G.'s.
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 09:52:46 PM »
Given that his car is a Mach 1, is it something like different color seat stripe, or body stripes delete or body stripes color different from what's standard based on the exterior color?
Just my W.A.G.'s.

Some possibilities - guess we'll wait for Kevin's response

The removal of hood black out or the stripe deletes were noted differently looking at other examples

The change from standard exterior stripe color I don't think was ever recorded in any of the years on the Ford tape.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 07:15:09 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 10:12:02 PM »
My WAG:
It could be as simple as: Kevin is including "Trim Variation" nomenclature, to more recently generated Marti Reports that show 3 digit interior trim codes. In the Mustang and Cougar tag book, there are footnotes next to most every 3 digit trim code. 1967-73, there are instances of suffix code 1, A, B, C, & E, all with footnotes. The footnotes have notes and the word "variation". Some variations are explained.

Only my guess, please don't shoot the messenger.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 11:36:29 PM »
My WAG:
It could be as simple as: Kevin is including "Trim Variation" nomenclature, to more recently generated Marti Reports that show 3 digit interior trim codes. In the Mustang and Cougar tag book, there are footnotes next to most every 3 digit trim code. 1967-73, there are instances of suffix code 1, A, B, C, & E, all with footnotes. The footnotes have notes and the word "variation". Some variations are explained.

Only my guess, please don't shoot the messenger.

Yes same thought as I had from the beginning we see this in some other ways as you look at the reports over the years
Jeff Speegle

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 12:09:27 AM »
Anything unusual on that example that might provide a clue?
Nothing blaringly obvious, but I have not really had a chance to spend serious time with that car yet.  ;) He had the Marti displayed on the core support at a show and I just happened to notice that term when I glanced at the report.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs