Author Topic: radiator panel  (Read 240 times)

Offline BlackMcode1970mach1

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 63
radiator panel
« on: August 02, 2017, 09:38:00 PM »
Hi ! I have a 70 mach 1 and I'm most certain  the car was in a accident at one time. Someone put a 69 radiator support in it. what I'm wondering about  is  the trim that goes over the stone deflector. Is this supose to be all plated or is it supose to have the center part argent painted? I remember years ago I bought one from ford and it had the argent painted center.Would it matter where the car was built? The one I have has been painted black in the middle to the back edge.  any ideas on how to remove this?? I used some stripper with steel wool it took it off but under it it looks like the plating came off..I didn't use alot by the way.maybe  I goofed using this method  The ones ive looked at on ebay are fully plated or some are with the paint..Mark
friends don't let frinds drive chevys

Offline J_Speegle

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 15101
Re: radiator panel
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 10:42:13 PM »
Any of the threads showing 70 unrestored cars help with the panel finish your asking about?  Believe your referring to the lower grill trim that is anodized aluminum then partially painted

A couple of the threads are down due to the Photobucket issues but some are still working (have pictures)

Such as

Hope that is what your looking for. If not write us again and will try and help out.

For removing paint I would try lacquer thinner. Will be slow going but it won't touch the plating
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)