Author Topic: How to tell the difference between original and a clone Hipo 4100 carb  (Read 2723 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
 I posted this recently over on the SAAC forum and thought I should do the same here.
I was pondering some of the many details between a manual choke 4100 hipo carburetor and a clone version made up from assorted parts. A friend Dan Case has done extensive research on the subject and provided me with a picture that makes it easy to understand what IMO feel is one of the easiest and most obvious "tells". The manual choke hipo clone carb is made up from the much more prevalent automatic carb core. All relevant 4100's have a cast in boss and stud for the fast idle mechanism. There is a extra rib cast into the manual choke casting that is not on the automatic choke casting.

There is also a thread boss just above the fast idle that is threaded on the automatic choke carbs that is not necessary on the manual choke carbs. The threaded hole can be filled and pretty convincingly disguised to the casual viewer but the extra rib not so much. Carb builders have done a good job of making convincing clones . Some better then others with convincing stamps and tags. If it doesn't have the rib it is a clone carb. The manual choke is a rare carb and the clone carbs have their place in being a more economical substitute for a missing carb on a original car. It is when a clone carb is claimed to be a original carb that it becomes a problem IMO. Just trying to help to inform about the difference.

Thanks Dan for the excellent picture comparison and your continued help.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 08:59:07 PM by J_Speegle »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Thanks for sharing Bob
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline livetoride60

Thanks for sharing Bob.  I keep an eye out for this and have thankfully only seen a few times where the owner was trying to pass off a clone as a real hipo carb.  Most note they are clones.  One time was at the MCA Nationals in IL a couple years ago.  I noticed the clone on a hipo convertible while it was being judged, but didn't say anything obviously as I wasn't judging (and I'm not a judge).  I'm not even sure it would matter in a concours class vs thoroughbred (?).  I got to know the owner afterwards and pretty sure he was honestly not aware.  He was in the process of getting his car up to speed and was learning quite a bit.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 11:52:06 AM by livetoride60 »
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
A deduction in MCA concours would be fair game if the judge knows how to tell the difference.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline livetoride60

Here's one I saw at a vendor display at the Mustang 50th at Charlotte.  The motor was described as a "hipo motor".  When I began asking questions about various parts, the vendor pointed to the distributor and asked "do you know if that's a hipo distributor?".  When I replied, no, it isn't, he turned around and walked off.  He didn't say the carb and other parts were or were not correct, but it was a very strange exchange regardless.  I had read some things online about this particular vendor's reputation beforehand, so was prepared.  Buyer beware.

The pics show the same carb tells Bob pointed out, along with a view of the noticeable restamping job.
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline 5F08KGT

Here's one I saw at a vendor display at the Mustang 50th at Charlotte.  The motor was described as a "hipo motor".  When I began asking questions about various parts, the vendor pointed to the distributor and asked "do you know if that's a hipo distributor?".  When I replied, no, it isn't, he turned around and walked off.  He didn't say the carb and other parts were or were not correct, but it was a very strange exchange regardless.  I had read some things online about this particular vendor's reputation beforehand, so was prepared.  Buyer beware.

The pics show the same carb tells Bob pointed out, along with a view of the noticeable restamping job.

"Fast Freddie" ??

Offline jwc66k

On the Shelby forum http://www.saacforum.com/ they constantly expose fraudulent parts sellers. "pookie" or derivations of that ID, come to mind. The analysis of items by that forum's members that are described as "pure" something or other (correct, NOS, original) can be humorous. In some instances, parts are described by people that do not know. I believe they are in a minority. It's the professional fraudster that should be revealed and even prosecuted.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
 While we're on the topic, don't forget the downword small brass tube on the top cover/plate.  I believe on other carbs this brass tube is connected up to the hot air / choke tubing. This was never used on the Hipo carbs as these were cast shut/blocked off. I'll try and post a pic later of my hipo carb as an example.
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
Here's an older pic of a Hipo I picked up. Blocked off area circled in red.
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
"Fast Freddie" ??

The wire racks in the background of the 1st pic would support that...
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

Please note, I have seen a HiPo clone Autolite 4100 with a forged "rib" added to carb. body for choke stop. I'm not kidding. Some people will go to great lengths to fake something.
What gave it away?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
What gave it away?
Jim
Maybe that it was a 2V...
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Rio1965

Re: How to tell the difference between original and a clone Hipo 4100 carb
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2022, 07:14:16 PM »
Hello all. I am restoring a '65 K code and I am looking for a genuine carb to complete the engine. I recently found a candidate on eBay, but I wanted to pass along the link to see if there were any red flags. The part on eBay looks legit from what I can tell, but I appreciate your expert advice.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393977842362?epid=1428899235&hash=item5bbae8caba:g:i0oAAOSw0ftiJ-lE

Cam

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2022, 08:26:30 PM »
Hello all. I am restoring a '65 K code and I am looking for a genuine carb to complete the engine. I recently found a candidate on eBay, but I wanted to pass along the link to see if there were any red flags. The part on eBay looks legit from what I can tell, but I appreciate your expert advice.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393977842362?epid=1428899235&hash=item5bbae8caba:g:i0oAAOSw0ftiJ-lE

Cam
An unusual first post so I'll go into more detail.
What year Mustang are you trying to get a HP carburetor for?
The one in the e-bay add was only used in 1964 Mustangs (the first HP Mustang was built (scheduled) on June 7 or 8, 1964).
It has the right Ford number, C4OF-AL, on the left front mounting pad.
That's the start. There are other "tells".
Jim

Offline sgl66

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2022, 08:36:58 PM »

Cam
I believe the carb tag should be FoMoCo not Autolite. You need to know what boosters are on the inside. Primary should be M and the secondaries are BA. M boosters are nearly impossible to find on their own. If the seller isn't willing to remove the top and provide a picture, I would walk away. I would also ask for a picture of the area circled in red to see if looks like it was cast that way or did someone seal the hole.
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65