1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1969 Mustang

Batch/Slop vs undercarriage color - 69 Dearborn

(1/5) > >>

ruger:
Just for clarification.   The undercarriage of my 69 Dearborn appears to be a dark green metallic. The inner fender wells and the firewall on mine were the gray color. I would be correct in returning the exact colors to this car,  correct?  I was under the impression after reading a few threads that the slop gray would carry throughout the undercarriage as well.  This is my first rodeo in the concours field.  Just wanna be correct.  Thanks. 

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: ruger on July 28, 2017, 10:41:38 AM ---Just for clarification.   The undercarriage of my 69 Dearborn appears to be a dark green metallic. The inner fender wells and the firewall on mine were the gray color. I would be correct in returning the exact colors to this car,  correct?  I was under the impression after reading a few threads that the slop gray would carry throughout the undercarriage as well.  This is my first rodeo in the concours field.  Just wanna be correct.  Thanks.

--- End quote ---
Fire wall and engine compartment or typically painted semi gloss black. Firewall back underneath is typically is the slop paint (Dearborn) which although typically has gray in it could have a mixture of green metallic also.

ruger:
Thanks Bob,  the car is Silver Jade.  The green underneath is a bit darker than that. Thought I should have mentioned that in the first post.  Could have been Silver Jade with some darker paint mixed in.  Thanks again. 

J_Speegle:
As mentioned in other treads. The floor (from approx the firewall rearward) reward by jets mounted below the moving body with what we refer to as slop gray to just before the rear cross member. There are some identifiable periods in 69 Dearborn where a red oxide epoxy primer was used instead of the slop for some unknown reason

Then from the firewall forward normally a red oxide epoxy primer was applied to the wheel side of the wheel wells and to some of the engine compartment are panels in the area.  Again there are some exceptions during short periods of time were a version of slop was applied to the front wheel wells instead of the red oxide but these are very limited and not IMHO typical

The the engine compartment was painted black  on the inner surfaces, firewall below the cowl pinch weld down ward (and above after a specific time period) This was after after exterior panels were primed with a light gray primer surfacer then exterior body color. The front of the radiator support was painted when they painted the engine compartment and often this black carried around (on both sides) to the forward inner fender panel

Emailed you a couple of files. Let me know if you don't get them

VikingNJ:
My Candy Apple Red GT350 FB built around June 12, 1969 had red-oxide primer. Could it be possible that exterior color played a part in determining primer? Just curious.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version