Author Topic: Batch/Slop vs undercarriage color - 69 Dearborn  (Read 4606 times)

Offline ruger

Batch/Slop vs undercarriage color - 69 Dearborn
« on: July 28, 2017, 10:41:38 AM »
Just for clarification.   The undercarriage of my 69 Dearborn appears to be a dark green metallic. The inner fender wells and the firewall on mine were the gray color. I would be correct in returning the exact colors to this car,  correct?  I was under the impression after reading a few threads that the slop gray would carry throughout the undercarriage as well.  This is my first rodeo in the concours field.  Just wanna be correct.  Thanks. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 06:33:16 PM by J_Speegle »
1969 Sportsroof Mustang E'
63D
250 six cyl.
C4 trans.
Dearborn build Nov. 1968

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Slop gray vs undercarriage color
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 04:20:37 PM »
Just for clarification.   The undercarriage of my 69 Dearborn appears to be a dark green metallic. The inner fender wells and the firewall on mine were the gray color. I would be correct in returning the exact colors to this car,  correct?  I was under the impression after reading a few threads that the slop gray would carry throughout the undercarriage as well.  This is my first rodeo in the concours field.  Just wanna be correct.  Thanks.
Fire wall and engine compartment or typically painted semi gloss black. Firewall back underneath is typically is the slop paint (Dearborn) which although typically has gray in it could have a mixture of green metallic also.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruger

Re: Slop gray vs undercarriage color
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 04:35:27 PM »
Thanks Bob,  the car is Silver Jade.  The green underneath is a bit darker than that. Thought I should have mentioned that in the first post.  Could have been Silver Jade with some darker paint mixed in.  Thanks again. 
1969 Sportsroof Mustang E'
63D
250 six cyl.
C4 trans.
Dearborn build Nov. 1968

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Slop gray vs undercarriage color - 69 Dearborn
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 05:57:54 PM »
As mentioned in other treads. The floor (from approx the firewall rearward) reward by jets mounted below the moving body with what we refer to as slop gray to just before the rear cross member. There are some identifiable periods in 69 Dearborn where a red oxide epoxy primer was used instead of the slop for some unknown reason

Then from the firewall forward normally a red oxide epoxy primer was applied to the wheel side of the wheel wells and to some of the engine compartment are panels in the area.  Again there are some exceptions during short periods of time were a version of slop was applied to the front wheel wells instead of the red oxide but these are very limited and not IMHO typical

The the engine compartment was painted black  on the inner surfaces, firewall below the cowl pinch weld down ward (and above after a specific time period) This was after after exterior panels were primed with a light gray primer surfacer then exterior body color. The front of the radiator support was painted when they painted the engine compartment and often this black carried around (on both sides) to the forward inner fender panel

Emailed you a couple of files. Let me know if you don't get them
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 06:07:22 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline VikingNJ

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 04:23:53 PM »
My Candy Apple Red GT350 FB built around June 12, 1969 had red-oxide primer. Could it be possible that exterior color played a part in determining primer? Just curious.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 04:58:07 PM »
My Candy Apple Red GT350 FB built around June 12, 1969 had red-oxide primer. Could it be possible that exterior color played a part in determining primer? Just curious.

Guess by stating "around June 12..." you don't have the exact date from a Marti report.

Now just want to be sure that your not looking at the front wheel wells, front frame rails, base of the firewall and those forward surfaces.

Not from our understanding or examples. There would have been no reason for having on hand multiple undercarriage and firewall forward undercarriage colors since there was no concerns about how things looked in hidden, from normal view, areas. That is why bare steel was not coated, runs in paint and bare (unpainted) metal areas were uncoated in these areas

The findings more align with time periods and in turn supply at individual plants at this time
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 07:45:42 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 07:32:11 PM »
Red oxide definitely out of the ordinary for that time period. Hopefully Jeff has some examples cataloged for that time period to corroborate what you are seeing. I am skeptical that what you are seeing is factory red oxide primer on the floorpans void of no slop paint for that time period.  I have seen a redish shade of slop paint before however.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline VikingNJ

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 05:11:03 PM »
Yes, I do have the marti and lois eminger documentation. its been a long time since I have looked at it. its around june 12, 1969 is close enough for this topic. When I got my car years ago I documented all things. That was one of the things I remember clearly was the red-oxide primer with candy apple red over spray...and undercoating/sound deadener in areas as well.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 07:35:36 PM »
Can we assume Dearborn also?

That was what he posted in the first post ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Batch/Slop vs undercarriage color - 69 Dearborn
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 08:44:28 PM »
Red oxide definitely out of the ordinary for that time period. Hopefully Jeff has some examples cataloged for that time period to corroborate what you are seeing.

Sorry looked at my files and notes and can't place another (than your report) in that time period.  Doesn't sound like you took pictures to document what you found unfortunately

Now at the same time I do have an owner that reported red oxide was

As Bob mentioned there is possibly a chance that what you saw was a batch color that for some reason was more reddish and that was what was used

Here is an example of such a finish Unfortunately the poster did not provide anymore information that the year, model and plant :()

For comparison here is a red oxide 69 Dearborn example

« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 06:33:31 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 09:45:40 AM »
Your car should always be the guide. Dont ever doing something during the restoration because a judge told you to. I have judged and shown cars for 30 years, good research always trumps a judge.

Offline VikingNJ

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 01:44:51 PM »
Jeff,
Thanks for the posting with the redish-grayish and red-oxide undercarriage color photos. My car was definitely closer to the red-oxide primer color, as in area of undercoating flaked off you can see fresher color of red-oxide primer. Over the years the red-oxide faded i assume.
Again thanks,
Nils

Offline MikeG69

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 03:50:01 PM »

The the engine compartment was painted black  on the inner surfaces, firewall below the cowl pinch weld down ward (and above after a specific time period)

My 69 Coupe according to the Marti report was built 11/26/68 & the cowl above the pinch weld is body color, meadowlark yellow.
I have been involved in Mustangs & working on cars for over 45 years.
1969 Mustang Coupe, 9T01F142xxx, assembled in NJ 11/26/68, 302, auto, meadowlark yellow. (project)
2021 Bronco Sport (Wife's DD)
2005 F150 2WD Regular Cab (My DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (Spare)
MCA #-4549

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 04:37:23 PM »
My 69 Coupe according to the Marti report was built 11/26/68 & the cowl above the pinch weld is body color, meadowlark yellow.

Is this for the 69 NJ car in your signature?  Yes that is what would be expected but the discussion is about 69 Dearborn cars  ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 04:10:10 PM »
In general when the black paint was applied to the engine compartment and radiator support, etc. , how was the already painted body protected from overspray?
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is