1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1966 Mustang

1966 factory air. Video, help diagnose problem. *Resolved*

(1/5) > >>

sed6:
After getting the air working on my 66 my compressor vibrates madly at certain rpm's. I read about belt slap and installed the additional fixed pulley. While that helped the belt slap and vibrations it didn't eliminate them. I'm spoiled by modern cars and wonder if the remaining vibrations are normal and I should leave well enough alone, or is there an additional problem causing the vibes that still needs fixing?

Here's a video I put on YouTube. Opinions and ideas are appreciated!

67gtasanjose:
#1 ~Install a brace from the compressor to the intake manifold.
#2 ~ Check AC Pressure Readings. If high pressure out or range or needle is vibrating, you may have restriction within the dryer or restrictions in the expansion valve. Your readings will hold the answer to your question. Bearings could be bad but highly doubtful. Bad bearings could be picked up on with a stethoscope. Bad bearing would not affect your readings. For the most part, the only thing that can go wrong with a York is a seal leaking, a reed valve or a clutch failure. The Pistons, rings & rods are pretty much bullet-proof if they haven't been run without oil. On that note about OIL. The crankcase oil level check CANNOT should not be attempted with a refrigerant charge in the system without following service instructions carefully or injury may occur. A dipstick is used to measure the oil but it has to be checked or filled while the compressor is isolated from the rest of the system or when there is no charge in the system.

sed6:
Thanks! The only brace I've seen is about $130 is that the one? My compressor only had about 1/8" of oil in and I topped it up to the recommended 3/4" before recharging. Think the low oil could have caused a problem? Without a charge and without the clutch engaging I wouldn't think so...

sed6:
This brace?

https://www.johnsmustang.com/1965-1966-mustang-a-c-compressor-brace-anti-vibration

sed6:
Here's my readings after replacing the receiver/dryer, a vaccumm to -27 inches and 28 oz of (edited) r-12. If there was any oil in left in my lines, which I doube since the system was open for 10 years, could it have overfilled the compressor and could too much oil cause vibes?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version