Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Body, Paint & Sealers

Orange peel question.

(1/6) > >>

ruger:
Now that I have fresh Silver Jade paint applied I have a question about how much orange peel is good.  It's pretty uniform across the entire car.  A little less on the roof.  Does anyone have a photo of correct orange peel?  I guess that would be the term. 
By the way Jeff.  Thanks for the proper painting techniques.  I painted it just as described in your outlines.  Hood hanging   etc...

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: ruger on August 16, 2017, 07:59:30 AM ---Now that I have fresh Silver Jade paint applied I have a question about how much orange peel is good.  It's pretty uniform across the entire car.  A little less on the roof. 

--- End quote ---
If (a big if) the painter know how to create orange peel, the surfaces facing up should not have any. That would be the roof, trunk lid and the rear fenders. The hood and front fenders were hung to paint in a different area along with the front valence and lower grill bar. That leaves the "C" pillars (the vent areas on a fastback, the same areas on a hardtop) to "allow" orange peel - for judging purposes. I like the look of a good finish on the roof, hood and sides - no orange peel (personal preference). The "C" pillar orange peel covers the need. Obviously a convertible will have different spots, I would recommend the rear fenders where the folding top is located. Remember, too much is bad, none is bad.
Jim

ruger:
Thanks Jim,  I have been searching out cars in my area to look at with none done to concours standards.  I am gonna leave some peel on the lower parts of the car,  rockers etc...   I hope this will work out for me but I really cannot find any standards for peel.  Thanks for your info. 

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: ruger on August 30, 2017, 11:02:59 AM ---I hope this will work out for me but I really cannot find any standards for peel.   

--- End quote ---
It's a quandary, a "standard" for a desired flaw.
Jim

CharlesTurner:
The MCA judging sheets note that orange peel should be found throughout the car.  In the past the judges would look for orange peel and if they found it anywhere, that was generally acceptable.  I believe they are getting tighter on that standard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version