1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1967 Mustang

Dash/Glove Box Paint Process - 67 San Jose

(1/4) > >>

J_Speegle:
This came up on another forum the other day so I figured I should share and post here for the benefit of members and others watching now and in the future

Question was - Was the glove box hinge attached to the glove box door or the main dash when painted interior color for a 67 San Jose built Mustang/Shelby?

What we have found is that the glove box was installed/attached to the main dash when it was painted so the glove box, hinge, mounting hardware all got painted with the main dash. There are some periods (don't know why or have found a pattern yet) where one of the hinge to main dash bolts were not painted. Doesn't make allot of sense but just reporting what I'm finding. From looking at a number of 68's the pattern/practice appears to be the same as far as the glove box doors being installed when painted

Just one of many pictures illustrating this finding. In this case the painter didn't put out much effort to reach under the dash and cover all the exposed surfaces. This produced shadows on the example and the expected bare sections of the piano hinge used to attach the glove box door.  And yes some prior owner rattle canned with black spray paint the front/visible section of the heater :(

OldMustangGuy:
Jeff-woukd this be consistent with other factories or is this a San Jose only process?

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: OldMustangGuy on August 18, 2017, 02:24:29 AM ---Jeff-woukd this be consistent with other factories or is this a San Jose only process?

--- End quote ---

I believe its possible that it applies to the other plants  but we'll see  as I'm looking at other plants and expanding out to 68 also in my stuff. Going to be difficult as not allot of people take pictures of the bottom of their dashes in that area for any purposes so examples will be few I would expect. Its also likely other members may have unrestored cars they have access to that can offer data points also.  Might take a while but at least we got the facts and the idea started

Fastback2013:
my glove box...
Makes sense that there is bare metal where the fixation screws are?
Kind regards,
Jeroen

Bossbill:
Adding to the discussion as I just happened to get to this area of the car on disassembly.
Car is a 1967 SJ Fastback, with a Ford serial number in the 180Ks.
The interior is black, hence charcoal metallic paint on the dash. I've owned the car for many decades and I don't believe this area of the car has been molested.
Also note that the following comments are how the surfaces or assembly appears from paint evidence.

Select any pic to be sent to my Flickr site. Click on the picture there to zoom.

The glove box is the correct color and I would venture to say it has about an 80% gloss and certainly has orange peel. There are no indications of a respray on the glove box or any portion of the dash.
[see my later post -- this door was re-sprayed]

Glove box front:

I purposely included a standard double 8' fluorescent above the glove box door to indicate relative gloss. It does not appear this shiny within the dark recesses of the black interior, pointing at the floor.
The center hole has indications of it being the only fastener used to initially hang the door.
The lock and chrome bezel have been removed.

The back side of the door:

The hinge was mounted on the bare steel door. As Jeff noted earlier, the fasteners were painted along with the hinge.
Inspect the paint on the top part of the hinge because here is where things get interesting.

Under dash:

The hinge and door were mounted to the underside of the bare steel dash. Notice the lack of a straight paint line under the dash.

Temporarily mounted up:

Here is how I think it worked.
The door is mounted to the dash using one or more of the hinge bolts, but left loose.
For my car on the center bolt -- for others, perhaps two or three. The weight of the door opens up the gap in the front.
The back of the door is misted with the charcoal metallic paint and some black is allowed to be sprayed on the hinge facing the underside and the under dash area to which the hinge mounts. This allows a small amount of paint on the hinge that will clamped to the dash and the curved line on my car (due to the center bolt being the only one installed when the back is sprayed).

The dash area behind the door:

As you can see in this pic, the area directly behind the door lip on the dash is the same color and gloss as the back of the door.

My best guess is that the door is installed loosely with no paint on any parts.
The back of the door, hinge, area in the dash hidden by the closed door and the underside of the dash in the area of the hinge is misted over. 
This might be when the vertical portion of the upper dash is misted over.

The door is closed and held there by the friction of the new hinges and adjusted.  The lock is not installed yet. Then the color coat is shot on the visible parts of the dash.

Later the glove box lock, chrome surround, rubber bumpers and light are installed.

Your comments?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version