Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Drivetrain

American Motors starter motor

(1/2) > >>

RocketScientist:
I came across an American Motors starter that was on a 1970, 351W with a manual transmission (non Mustang - possibly Bronco?) and was curious about the name. It has the D0AF-11131-D part number on the aluminium top and a number that starts with 2DCXXon the body. From the partial number I suspect that it's a 1972 replacement but I would like to be sure.

I am looking for a starter  to suit a 70 Dearborn B302 so I don't think it's a fit, but still curious about the starters origins.

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: RocketScientist on August 18, 2017, 11:14:55 PM ---I came across an American Motors starter that was on a 1970, 351W with a manual transmission (non Mustang - possibly Bronco?) and was curious about the name. It has the D0AF-11131-D part number on the aluminium top and a number that starts with 2DCXXon the body. From the partial number I suspect that it's a 1972 replacement but I would like to be sure.

I am looking for a starter  to suit a 70 Dearborn B302 so I don't think it's a fit, but still curious about the starters origins.

--- End quote ---
If it a rebuild it could have any combination of components.The rebuilders are not choosy. The stamped number on the stamped case is the one that is most relevant for a concours correct starter. Ford changed the design of the nose cone in 1970.They are much easier to find compared to earlier.

J_Speegle:
It likely would have fit. Have seen this (starter with American Motors stamping on the main case) a number of times. Like the odd master cylinders with the cap held in place with the center single bolt.

nham3407:
A lot of cross pollination between AMC and the big three,but mainly ford. Intermittent wipers system between 71-73 and maybe other years was exactly the same as the AMC system up to the late 70's. I grew up in an AMC town and plenty of parts cars to draw from that also worked on the mustang

RocketScientist:
Thanks, I'm a little slow and didn't make the connection between 'American Motors' and AMC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version