Author Topic: Hipo choke cable  (Read 2296 times)

Offline sgl66

Hipo choke cable
« on: August 23, 2017, 05:12:50 PM »
Was there a model year change for the Hipo choke cables? I stumble across some on eBay once in a while that always have the "C" on the knob and no "CHOKE" on the bezel. Attached is a picture of what is in my car and a screen shot from a recent EBay ad.
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Hipo choke cable
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 06:41:17 PM »
Was there a model year change for the Hipo choke cables? I stumble across some on eBay once in a while that always have the "C" on the knob and no "CHOKE" on the bezel. Attached is a picture of what is in my car and a screen shot from a recent EBay ad.

Not aware that the choke ont he bezel was ever used on a Mustang. Looks like from another car

Examples from 65's

66 examples

Hope this helps - have many more
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 07:12:51 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 06:56:59 PM »
The one with the "C" was used on 67 GT350 or hipo Mustangs. There were not too many hipo Mustangs produced in 67 outside the GT350 .The 67 dose not use a bezel marking the cable hence the "C".
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline sgl66

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 07:31:39 PM »
Not aware that the choke ont he bezel was ever used on a Mustang. Looks like from another car

Did I mention this is a Metuchen car  ???

It looks like the style used in a 65 Falcon Sprint http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/attachments/falcon-pages/20435d1325949457-tach-position-sprint005-1.jpg

I checked with the original owner and he never had a reason to change it and neither have I.

My guess is that because Ford stopped Sprint production at the end of 65 due to the Hipo Mustang, Ford probably had extra inventory of these cables from the Falcon to use up but again it's Metuchen so who knows. My car has other left over 65 parts including 9" housing and washer motor so it wouldn't be unheard of for Ford to use up old inventory where possible.

One other question regarding the location under the dash, mine is by the ignition switch and I have seen others located on the left side of the steering column. Is this random or did 4 speed cars get them on the right side to avoid interference with the clutch pedal?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 09:55:13 PM »
Did I mention this is a Metuchen car  ???

I saw it in your signature but don't ahve a collection deep enough and there are much fewer NJ cars due to the run to pull info from

It looks like the style used in a 65 Falcon Sprint http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/attachments/falcon-pages/20435d1325949457-tach-position-sprint005-1.jpg

I checked with the original owner and he never had a reason to change it and neither have I.

Would not be the first owner that forgot something. Have had them tell me and friend tons of things only to find the opposite took place. Not completely their fault its been 50 years and often these were just one of many cars they bought used and got rid of or parked at some point.

My guess is that because Ford stopped Sprint production at the end of 65 due to the Hipo Mustang, Ford probably had extra inventory of these cables from the Falcon to use up but again it's Metuchen so who knows. My car has other left over 65 parts including 9" housing and washer motor so it wouldn't be unheard of for Ford to use up old inventory where possible.

The assembly plants didn't have space to store parts so they might use them later. End of production parts (the few that got to the plant were normally transferred and used as service parts or sold by the shipping crate for salvage some times.  Then just write the lose off. Believe the Falcon also used a different mounting bracket 

One other question regarding the location under the dash, mine is by the ignition switch and I have seen others located on the left side of the steering column. Is this random or did 4 speed cars get them on the right side to avoid interference with the clutch pedal?

To the left of the steering would have been the normal location - that is why the cable is so long.  If your was replaced that would possibly be the reason why (short than the correct/original one) they mounted it to the right. The were routed well away from the clutch and it was likely mounted to the left so you could operate it with the left hand while starting the car with your right hand to the key/ignition. Though later (69) were moved to the left side of the steering column
Jeff Speegle

Offline sgl66

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 12:11:00 AM »
Thanks for the input Jeff

I saw it in your signature but don't ahve a collection deep enough and there are much fewer NJ cars due to the run to pull info from

Sarcasm....meaning maybe just another example of Metuchen doing things different....although I doubt they made this a normal practice. There is another thread on this site related to the hole in the firewall where they didn't use a hole saw for mine but instead what looks like a metal punch with the sheet metal torn and folded in toward the interior. And then there is the question about why I have 2 different rotation numbers on 2 different build sheets...just another Metuchen oddity.

I can see any indication or marks from where a bracket may have previously been installed on the left side.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 03:17:29 PM by sglbbs »

Offline stangerdude

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 10:27:35 PM »
That one is identical to the one used in 1960-1961 Full size Ford products.  I had a 60 Galaxie 352 HiPo with that exact knob and bezel except it was mounted in the dash. It would attach to a original Mustang bracket with no issues. Hope this helps!
68 GT Fastback San Jose built

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 10:39:30 PM »
That one is identical to the one used in 1960-1961 Full size Ford products.  I had a 60 Galaxie 352 HiPo with that exact knob and bezel except it was mounted in the dash. It would attach to a original Mustang bracket with no issues. Hope this helps!

+1  As would a dozen of other choke cables.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 05:47:15 PM »
To my knowledge, the C on the choke knob was used in 65 and 66 on HiPo Mustangs and GT350's.
In 67 it was changed to a knob without the C on HiPo's and GT350's.
See picture I got from a GT350 owner #1175.
Texas Swede